addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › The Agendas for Texas 2011 starts forming

The Agendas for Texas 2011 starts forming

Mick
Mick_
Plano, TX
Post #: 244
The bills for next session are being filed now. Here's what we get:

• create an Arizona-type immigration law
  • further restrict abortion
  • allow guns on campus
  • require voters to present ID at the polls
  • thwarting implementation of the new federal health care law
  • House Bill 85 would prohibit public hospitals, without exception, from performing abortions
  • Senate Bill 130 would require doctors performing abortions to offer a sonogram to the pregnant woman prior to the procedure

Rep. Debbie Riddle, R-Tomball, waited outside the clerk's office for two days to be first in line to file voter ID and anti-illegal-immigration bills, even though having the earlier bill numbers is mostly symbolic.

The list of bills aimed at illegal immigrants includes provisions that would:
•Allow law enforcement to question the citizenship of those involved in police matters.
•Allow the arrest of those here illegally under a new trespassing law.
•Make students at public schools show proof of citizenship, so the state can account for education funding spent on noncitizens.
•Mandate that all documents printed at taxpayers' expense be in English only

Nope, no bills to require the state to close a $25 billion budget deficit. Mind you that's just the difference between what they expect to tax us versus what they expect to spend. I'm pretty sure if I spent more than I made it wouldn't be long before I was in jail. Why does every form of government from city to federal always make a budget that spends more than they make? Why is this so universal? Someone tell me. This mystery is greater to me than the "mystery" of our existence.
Matt B.
user 11413756
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 7
I agree that it is certainly a very odd set of priorities. One likely solution is that there is support from an unknown source. Another is that the government knows that, if push comes to shove, labor and money can be easily gleaned from the point of a gun.

When I ran a recycling center in California, toward the end of the first year the state ran out of money and actually gave me an IOU. If, for some reason I then went broke and had no buying capital for CRV and had to close down or refuse business, I would be fined for breaking the laws and regulations governing the required purchase of CRV by processing centers in CA. In effect, "Here's an IOU, but we expect you to operate regardless. If you don't, we won't shut you down, but we'll fine you to get some of that money that we can use to pay you back with." Very much in line with the Ayn Rand necropolis, if you ask me.

Fuck.
A former member
Post #: 22
I have no problem with Immigration law being reformed -my ancestors signed the book when they came here and then PAID TAXES!!!
My neighbors are from Pakistan and they had to spend thousands to be able to move here legally and they are now tax paying law abiding American citizens{and really good neighbors!}.

The abortion thing drives me nuts-it's a womans choice-period.

English is our language -learn it.

As long as Rick Perry is in office it will remain politics as usual.

Love living in the bible belt.
A former member
Post #: 110
Most of what you list, Mick, are issues of avoidance.

What I mean is that they are issues meant to take attention away from other matters or to offer an artificial cure to a problems (artificial because it has nothing to do with anything).

The rest are moral agendas.

The List:

# create an Arizona-type immigration law (Divide and conquer)
# further restrict abortion (Moral Agenda)
# allow guns on campus (Divide and conquer)
# require voters to present ID at the polls (Divide and conquer)
# thwarting implementation of the new federal health care law (Divide and conquer)
# House Bill 85 would prohibit public hospitals, without exception, from performing abortions (Moral Agenda)
# Senate Bill 130 would require doctors performing abortions to offer a sonogram to the pregnant woman prior to the procedure (Moral Agenda)

The following are "divide and conquer" issues that prey on the fears and passions of people. Few have any real merit or content.

# create an Arizona-type immigration law (Divide and conquer) - The old blame someone else for the financial problems of the country - last seen in Nazi Germany. If you do not do something about it - these people will steal from you (sounds like FEAR).

# allow guns on campus (Divide and conquer) - An issue that is a point of passion to many Americans - This is brought up many times to make things seem more pressing than they really are. People FEAR being told what they can do - even if it makes sense.

# require voters to present ID at the polls (Divide and conquer) - They already do that. A non issue, but if we do not regulate it, the opposition wins and we cannot have that (FEAR of someone else winning something that was never a valid issue).

# thwarting implementation of the new federal health care law (Divide and conquer) - Again - Passion against Passion. If numbers were considered there would be a clear choice, but because of passionate ideas (most grounded in FEAR) this is still considered fighting ground.

The "Moral" issues are more like patriotic calls - because anyone not on the supporting side is non-patriotic and un-American.

Incidentally - Fear is one of the main ingredients needed to make an urban legend stick when there are no facts to support it.

Thanks Mick for posting this information - I have become quite the active voter in recent times because of the progress made by cooler heads and the outrageousness of the haters.