addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Letter to Governor Perry

Letter to Governor Perry

A former member
Post #: 866
Just sent this email letter to our Texas Governor Rick Perry concerning his call to pray for rain in Texas over the Easter holiday weekend . . .

Dear Governor Perry,

Are we living in the 21st Century? Your call to prayer to effect atmospheric change is preposterous in the 21st Century. Please refrain from these flights of fancy into the uneducated netherworld of superstition. Petitions to the dubious supernatural realm for rain are an insult to our 21st Century hearts and minds.

As I sit here typing this email to you, I hear the thunder roar as a major storm moves in from the west during the evening of Saturday, April 23rd. Prayer had nothing to do with it.

I support the solid reasoning behind the words of our great American writer and cultural observer, Samuel Clemens (also known as Mark Twain), "It is best to read the weather forecast before praying for rain!"

Please show more thoughtful leadership.

Thank you,

Stephen XXXXXXXXXX

A former member
Post #: 128
Looks like a letter written just after the last straw.

I like it.

Sadly there are too many things Perry does and caters to that would warrant a scrutinizing letter. I do like the reference to the century - it is very fitting.

-Wayne
A former member
Post #: 1
From where I come, the so called priests order for a wedding between two donkeys to please God and that he would let it rain.

Sounds funny? I am not kidding:

http://news.bbc.co.uk...­

There are other incidents where they perform marriage of Donkey's for Peace. lol ..

-- Raj

A former member
Post #: 41
A REAL governor would realize that there are billions of gallons of water to the south, all we need to is remove some of the salt. There is an answer, it simply takes some resources. I'm sure that insurance companies would rather pitch in on that cost than replace all that got burned. If the governor says "well, we don't have desalination plants" I will reply "what the fuck are you spending our money on?" It better not be things that make your life more comfortable while citizens suffer. When there is an answer in sight, praying for supernatural intervention is a fucking stupid thing to do. It is unbecoming a politician, never mind a leader of any stature. Folding your hands in prayer when they are needed to sign documents to implement a solution is not only backward, it's downright evil. Before anyone dismisses my thoughts as unconventional, ask yourself why there is a shortage of water in this state when we have a gulf coast. They can find money for the Trans Texas Corridor to help big business flout the import laws, but we still are short on water every year... wtf?

Rick Perry is a bad leader and needs to be thrown under the bus. The response to the wildfires is but one reason for that. Judging from his record, expecting him to marshal the resources necessary is ludicrous thinking. Might as well let it burn as think he will find a solution. He's a moron.
A former member
Post #: 130
Mr Perry is a genius.

How else can you inform the masses that the government is doing nothing than to say it's praying? Informing people with no backlash.

Next time anyone of us has a problem at work that warrants action on our part - say you're praying for it.