addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Prayer at daycare

Prayer at daycare

A former member
Post #: 1
My daughter, who is 4 1/2 years old, goes to Primrose in Richardson. They have a group prayer before meals. Should I be ticked off at this? Cos I am, and I donot know if I am overreacting.

I went to a private school that was predominantly Catholic, although the student body was very secular (in southern India). And I figure I turned out alright (read: athiest) inspite of that. That is why I am wondering if I should be concerned at all. What are your thoughts?
A former member
Post #: 53
i guess i would request that my daughter not participate. although i was exposed to prayer and religion, i feel as though i would have rather not been as a child.
A former member
Post #: 3
I just found out the same thing about my 4 year olds daycare. They say some "god is good good is grat" thing before they eat. I too am very PO. I have not said anything yet but I am going to. Since they are a private scvhool they might just tell you to walk. Either way I am offended and my son gets mad at ME when I won't say "it"with him.
A former member
Post #: 5
You may want to share your concerns with the daycare and ask that they exempt your child from participating in the prayer or any other religious activities. If they have a problem with this, you may want consider other options for child care. (Do they advertise themselves as a religious daycare or school?)

We have been in a similar situation, and at the time we had wanted to talk first to the daycare owner before considering other places, because other than the religious aspect, we really liked the teachers and our daughter was really happy there. (It's hard to find a place you can completely entrust your child to.) But we never got to that point, because my husband lost his job and we had to take her out anyway.

Michelle
A former member
Post #: 2
You may want to share your concerns with the daycare and ask that they exempt your child from participating in the prayer or any other religious activities. If they have a problem with this, you may want consider other options for child care. (Do they advertise themselves as a religious daycare or school?)

We have been in a similar situation, and at the time we had wanted to talk first to the daycare owner before considering other places, because other than the religious aspect, we really liked the teachers and our daughter was really happy there. (It's hard to find a place you can completely entrust your child to.) But we never got to that point, because my husband lost his job and we had to take her out anyway.

Michelle

Thanks to everyone for replying. No, they are not a religious institution, not as far as I can tell from their literature or website. This is the only instance of prayer that I am aware of. This is why I am wondering if I am over-reacting.

Of I were to request that my daughter be left out of the prayers, wouldn't it confuse her, and wonder why she was being left out? Like Michelle said, it seems like a good daycare in all other respects.
Jeffrey G.
jeffrey
Plano, TX
Post #: 7

Thanks to everyone for replying. No, they are not a religious institution, not as far as I can tell from their literature or website. This is the only instance of prayer that I am aware of. This is why I am wondering if I am over-reacting.

This is something where you need to think about what is best for your daughter. I would also be furious (so I don't think it's an over-reaction), but I would also just brush it off as "just one of those things". I think it would be counter-productive to act on that fury. Let me give you an example. I say "Gesundheit" instead of "bless you" when someone sneezes. But I'm not going to make an issue of people saying "bless you" to me. There is nothing to gain by looking petty and ready to pick a fight.

But the strongest reason to do nothing is what you say:

Of I were to request that my daughter be left out of the prayers, wouldn't it confuse her, and wonder why she was being left out?

It really depends on your daughter. I know that mine would suffer from anything that made her appear any more "different" than she already thinks she appears to be. Maybe when she's older and more secure, I could take on the "Under God" in the pledge thing where Newcome left off. But I know that if I did something like that now, it would be a big problem for my daughter.

I suspect that singling your daughter out among her peers in day care is probably not a good idea. But it depends on your daughter.
A former member
Post #: 281
I have two teenagers and know that exposure to the real world is good for them. You should be able to counter any bad influences that the day care may try to instill. I would periodically talk to your child about prayer and religious beliefs. Most children are more likely to follow what their parents beliefs then what is believed outside the home.

Norm
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks to everyone. I think I will just let matters be for now. Thanks.