addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Atheist or Anti-theist Psychologist/Counselor

Atheist or Anti-theist Psychologist/Counselor

Justin
user 103743042
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Does anyone know of a good atheist or anti-theist psychologist/counselor in the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area? Any recommendations or information would be greatly appreciated.
Philip
pkizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 60
I do not know of any off-hand, but this should be the best place to start a search:

* Secular Therapist Project

That's run by the Recovering from Religion people.

Since I know their base is still relatively small, you might need to check local therapists on your own as well. The other tool to use when searching on your own is to scan their public web pages for the phrase "evidence-based counseling". That's the key phrase used by those using a more rational approach. Granted those using that phrase might not necessarily be atheist, but they will still not bring any religion at all into the help and will be sympathetic to any biases against religion.
David P.
dprice
Addison, TX
Post #: 14
I would recommend contacting the local "Recovering from Religion" group. Search for it on this site. It is run by professional counselors.
Steve N
user 64769232
Dallas, TX
Post #: 5
I would look for someone with knowledge in Evolutionary Psychology as well depending on what you are looking for. It is still a new field and up for debate but it seems to be the most rational view I've seen so far. It seems to answer the "why" we act the way we do questions better than anything else I've seen.