addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas Backyard Poultry Meetup Group Message Board General Discussion › Black soldier fly grubs

Black soldier fly grubs

A former member
Post #: 22
U feed kat waste to ur BSF and then feed the grubs to ur chickens?
I've heard of feeding fish chicken waste....
In a word, yes. I have fed my grubs kitty poo as well as the carcasses of critters killed by my cat, including birds and squirrels. I use wheat or corn based kitty litter which is chemical free. Supposedly these grubs will eat fish bones and bird bones but not mammal bones, so the squirrel bones might still be down in the BSF muck. shock
DJ T.
greyfrog
Irving, TX
Post #: 67
Ok, I'm just thinking ,the chickens do a good job of removing feline issues
from the waste. How is that different than to feed BSF dog poo ( usually corn based) and then feed larvae
to hens?
A former member
Post #: 24
Idk. I guess it's the same. The stuff I've read says you can feed pet waste to bsf grubs, but I would recommend doing a little research to confirm whether it's safe to then feed the grubs to your poultry.
DJ T.
greyfrog
Irving, TX
Post #: 68
Ok, thank you for the info. I grow mealworms for my chickens. I would like to check out BSF
Kate
user 2260983
North Richland Hills, TX
Post #: 15
I too have a Biopod. I have to say I didn't have too much luck with it the first time I tried it, but you've inspired me to set it back up and give it another try. Maybe this little cool spell we're having will encourage the BSF mommas to come lay their eggs on the goodies I've just put out there!
A former member
Post #: 25
If you need some starter grubs, drop me a line. Good luck!
Kate
user 2260983
North Richland Hills, TX
Post #: 16
Thanks Allison, I was just thinking I might need to take you up on your offer but I just found a BSF momma in my bin -- yippy!
A former member
Post #: 26
Thanks Allison, I was just thinking I might need to take you up on your offer but I just found a BSF momma in my bin -- yippy!
Isn't that cool?! It was the same way for me. I didn't buy a starter colony, I just set up the Biopod and the BSF moved in! "If you build it, they will come."
Fred O.
user 72566142
Dallas, TX
Post #: 11
Trinity Haymarket is now selling the Bio Pod Plus. We had several customers tell us how much their hens enjoy the Black Soldier Fly Grubs so we knew we must carry it. Setup is fairly easy. Glad to discover this great eco invention.
Michael
user 10248008
Dallas, TX
Post #: 55
As a follow up, I am finding the summer heat to be a problem. When temps hit 100F, the grubs really want to crawl out of the BioPod. I put a thermometer into the food scraps in mine, and got a temperature of over 110F! I put an ice pack in, but that is tedious to do every afternoon. So I am trying leaving the lid open, and keeping a piece of crumpled paper on top of the scraps to keep in moisture and give some evaporative cooling.