We're looking to increase our contributions to the social sector here in Singapore, and will be having a monthly meeting for volunteers who want to do more. These will be working sessions which can include:
• DataJams where data is cleaned and prepped for further analysis,
• Clinics for social sector organisations to drop in and ask data-related questions, and
• Planning sessions for wider community events.
Important to note
• Unlike a normal meetup, if you sign up but don't show, you will be depriving our non-profit partners of other volunteers who can be there to help them. Please be considerate when you sign up, thank you.
• It would be great if you bring your own water bottle along with your laptop and power cable too.
[Please watch this space for updates]
• WaterPoint Data Exchange (https://www.waterpointdata.org/)
The Water Point Data Exchange (WPDx) is the global platform for sharing water point data. In this Project Accelerator, we would discuss with WPDx representatives on how using WPDx data, better decisions can be made to ensure water service delivery is sustained in rural areas around the world. With almost 400,000 records, WPDx is currently the largest public repository of water point data.
1. Data Cleaning and Preparation
Skills required: Data cleaning, analysis using Python
• Raffles Banded Langur Working Group
The Raffles’ banded langur (Presbytis femoralis femoralis) is a monkey species found in Singapore and Malaysia. It is listed as endangered in the IUCN Red List. The Working Group, chaired by Dr. Andie Ang, is part of the conservation project tasked to gather key data on the langurs in order to protect them.
1. Raffles Banded Langur Working Group is continuing to match and analyze image data as well as image classification.
Skills required: Data cleaning and preparation, image classification, machine learning
6.45 - 7.00 p.m.: Registration
7.00 - 7.30 p.m.: Networking
7.30 - 9.30 p.m.: Project Overview and Discussion