What we're about
Learn more (http://www.meetup.com/DataforGood-Ottawa/pages/Intro%2C_FAQ_and_Status)
What it is
• Data for Good, inspired by DataKind.org, is the Canadian voice for data scientists with a conscience.
• If you have a desire to stay at the forefront of technological innovation & positive social change, join us.
What we do
• Data for Good brings together volunteer leading data scientists with high impact social organizations through a comprehensive, collaborative approach that leads to shared insights, greater understanding, and positive action through "data in the service of humanity".
• DataKind.org leads a community of pioneering data scientists with the talent, commitment, and energy to open doors & inspire a new way of using the skills and tools of corporations & governments, to meet the needs of the NFP/NGO and social innovation sector.
How we do it
• Through longer term projects (say 6 months) and by organizing & hosting mini-DataThon events.
• At any time, we may be running several projects concurrently. We review progress, update each other, and share data science techniques at our monthly meetups. We occasionally have mini-DataThon's where we get togther and tackle a few key questions related to a project in a collaborative, intense afternoon or evening.
Who we are
• We are data scientists, programmers, dba's, and story tellers who want to help Ottawa. Skill levels range from eager beginners who want to learn everything to old-timers who have seen it all and scoff at the statement 'the data is ready to go.'
How you fit in
• If you want to contribute - there is a place for you regardless of your background. Come to one of our meetups and get involved in one of the projects. Help out where you can, as you can. You can help make Ottawa better!
Data For Good Ottawa web site (http://dataforgoodottawa.org/)
Specialties: Data Analysis, Volunteer Matching, Data Visualization, Data Science for Social and Civic Sector.