What we're about
I've stepped down as leader, but Meetup continues to post this group. Would you like to take it? If so, contact me. See below for original purpose of group.
Not Quite Old Yet began as a friend-making group for active mature people. As my own life has changed, my goals for the group have changed also. This is still a friend-making group for active, vigorous people over-55 who are dealing with several issues:
- What is my life right now? Am I retired? A caregiver? Post-caregiving? Empty nest? Working parttime?
- What do I want my life to be? What is missing? Purpose and Joy, Money, Sense of Community, Happiness or Fun, What defines me? How do I want to define me?
- What am I doing or could I be doing to better achieve my goals?
Originally, round table discussions were the main “entertainment” of each meeting, with viewings of a TED talk to spirit discussions about our personal goals. These may continue as conversation starters if they remain popular.
My goals for this group now are somewhat less intellectual. I want the group to meet more of our social goals, including, perhaps, dining together and/or exercise (walks). Additionally, I am seeking co-leaders who can shoulder the hosting responsibilities if I have an unexpected problem.
We now have member requirements. Here are requirements (borrowed from Dayton Area Fun and altered, slightly for our purposes):
We take online and offline safety for you and all of the members very seriously.
* Prior to being accepted into the group, please be sure your home location is correct. If you are not within a reasonable distance of the Dayton or Southwest Ohio area your request to join will be denied.
* Since this is a social group, we'd like to know what interests you. Make your other meetup group memberships visible. There is no way for us to know what we have in common if you're not sharing that information. If your other meetup groups are hidden, your request to join will be denied.
* You are not required to give your real name or photo of yourself on your profile, although it is preferred. It makes it easier to find you if you are having trouble finding us at a meeting. In that spirit, please be sure to reach out to the organizer of the group prior to attending your first meetup.
* All of our meetups take place in public venues.
* If you receive any unwanted messages from other members, try ignoring them. If messages from another member of this group continue, please advise the group organizer. If you get annoying messages from someone outside this group, block them and report the problem to Meetup.