4178 Conference Road, Bellbrook, OH
Hike Plus Strength Training
This event is for people who wish to combine brisk pace hiking with strength training. Throughout the hike we'll do strength training exercises for your upper and lower body. Come expecting a strenuous workout! We'll do all of this to a backdrop of nature and scenic beauty in our "gym" called Sugarcreek MetroPark.
We'll hike the Green Trail (3.2 miles) at a brisk, fitness pace of 3.5-4.0. Activities to expect during this ~1hr-1:15hr strength training hike are:
1. Quick warm up at the picnic tables with jogging in place, jumping jacks, static stretching and our first set of push-ups, tricep dips, & squats.
2. Hike the trail with three (HIIT) uphill sprints along the route and "repeated stair-climbing" (you'll see when you get there)
3. One pause in the middle of the hike for a set of core and balancing exercises.
4. Return to the picnic tables where we will do our third and last set of strength training exercises. Expect more push-ups, tricep dips, and squats and/or lunges.
5. Cool Down. We'll finish this strength training hike with a full 5 minutes of stretching!
Modifications to exercises will be demonstrated for those with joint conditions or pain. PLEASE respect your body and participate to your ability. Follow your physicians orders :)
About Danita Moats: Danita is a Dayton Hikers member and a Certified Personal Trainer by the American Council on Exercise. Danita served 22 years in the Air Force and was deployed five times to Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. While in the Air Force she was a Physical Training Leader, a Unit Fitness Monitor and a Fitness Assessment Monitor. Danita’s favorite part of hiking is feeling the earth beneath her feet and seeing the sky above. She loves the beauty, energy and "soul replenishing oxygen" that hiking provides. Danita likes to share her passion of fitness and strength training with others.