addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Desert Mountain Paddlers Message Board › Kayaking PFD recommendation or for sale?

Kayaking PFD recommendation or for sale?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase a couple of Kayak PFDs... Does anyone have one or two for sale or have a recommendation on which to buy?

I was hoping to pick these up used for under $40 each... but if none available used will buy new.

Any recommendation would be helpful... otherwise I'll probably just buy this type:

http://www.amazon.com...­

Thanks in advance,

Andy
(also, see you at Canyon lake on Jan 7th)
Ron, the Canoe G.
user 10861546
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 24
Andy

I do have a couple of general recommendations.

1) I would not buy a used PFD. You really don't know how they have been treated.
Are there rips or tears in the fabric? Were they used as a seat cushion?
Do they look dirty? All no-no's.

2) I would buy local or at least shop local- that way you can try them on before you buy.
if going on-line gives you a better price, you at least have an idea as to their fit
if possible sit in a kayak with a backrest similar to yours so that you how it will feel
while paddling
a PFD that is comfortable is one that you will wear without a second thought
try REI or I have heard good things about Sports Chalet
or online try http://www.nrsweb.com...­
the link is to their Closeout Rack

3) I like zippers and multiple adjustment straps - the PFDs that you will find at Bass Pro or Cabelas
tend to be buckles only and are designed for fishermen and water skiers

4) a Type III PFD will give you about 16lbs of flotation - a Type V will give you about 22 lbs of floatation
for a higher ride should you find yourself in the water.

5) For both Men and Women, they make a PFD with the flotation up high on the back so as to not
interfere with the kayak backrest

6) For Women, they make a PFD that will fit better in the front

your link points to the Stearns Extreme Paddlesports Vest and it looks like it would be fine,
reviews sound good, large armholes is good
i just wish they would mention the "Type" (is this a Type III vest?) and that you could try it on before
you bought

and

it is good that you are giving some thought to this important purchase

Ron the Canoe Guy
A former member
Post #: 2
Ron,

Thanks for the reply and info. I really appreciate it!! We have PFDs now but they are not very comfortable and thus the desire to get something that we don't dread wearing :).

Andy
JRiv
user 8498015
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 18
Hello Andy,

Check out Sierra Trading posts website... lots of sales on PFD's at present.
http://www.sierratrad...­
Good meeting you and your wife on the Granite Reef paddle just after Thanksgiving and at the potluck at Mory's afterwards.

John aka JRiv
Cheryl
user 10813573
Gilbert, AZ
Post #: 8
There are two websites that I use consistently and that is where I purchased mine. I went to REI and tried them on, they were $120 at REI so I went to the website and bought at a significant discount. The sites are outdoorplay.com and backcountry.com. Good Luck!
Tyler Matney (.
user 5769998
Mesa, AZ
Post #: 23
Arizona Hike Shack (Thomas and 32nd St) is blowing out a discontinued NRS Big Water V PFD (only red is on sale) for a half price. They are $65 right now. Just thought I would share.