addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Desserts with Jane Message Board › Jane Austen. Romance or Comedy?

Jane Austen. Romance or Comedy?

Ruth U.
user 16467901
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Jane Austen's books are portrayed in movies as dramatic romances. Here is something she herself wrote about her abilities as a writer when it was suggested to her that she should write a historical romance.

"I could no more write a romance than an epic poem. I could not seriously sit down to write a serious romance under any other motive than to save my life, and if it were indispensable for me to keep it up and never relax into laughing at myself or at other people, I am sure I should be hung before I had finished the first chapter."

If you are reading or have read any of her writing, what do you think of her self-assessment?

Just for fun here is one of her many comical quotes from one of her novels:
"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -Northanger Abbey

I'm sure some of you will respond with some of the many obviously romantic quotes found in her novels!
A former member
Post #: 15
I know this is old, but I am bummed that I missed the first two meetings - third time's a charm, for sure! So I will put in my 2 cents.

I thought she said that because "romance" meant something a little different in her time. Kind of the melodramatic stuff that she mocked in "Northhanger Abbey" (which I sent to my cousin after she gave me "Twilight" for Christmas a couple years ago). I think JA actually was one of the big influences in creating the genre we now think of as "romance". I think if we are using today's word "romance", she wrote both. I've read all of the novels multiple times, but I've lost track of how many times I've read "Emma", and it still makes me laugh out loud every time she thinks to herself that Frank is so often the first person to come to her mind.