We'll take you through the whole process starting with thinking up a game idea, to picking the right engine and creating assets, and finally to building a brand new game itself. By the end of the night you'll have a fully working game to play and show your friends, enemies, and anyone in between. Additionally, you will have a good starting point for your next game (and a few ideas on what you can do with it once you've built it).
What we'll cover:
- What we mean by "HTML5 Game" (hint: it's pretty broad...)
- Canvas vs. DOM games.
- A little bit of game design theory (getting the idea from your head to a .js file)
- Overview of just a few of the many many game engines available to you.
- Building your first HTML5 Game from the ground up.
- All kinds of inputs! (mouse, touch, and even gamepad)
- Game Sound
- The FUTURE of HTML5 Games
About the Presenter:
Alex Porter (@streetalchemist) is an Interactive Developer at BaM (http://www.bamideas.com), working on highly interactive experiences for some of the largest companies in the world. Some of these projects include building HTML5 games for Microsoft to show off the power of the newest versions of Internet Explorer (including www.boredtodeath.ie andwww.ie10bethethief.com among others).
Link to presentation: http://www.rvl.io/streetalchemist/intro-to-html5-game-development/
Workshop files are under More > Files for the group.