addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Developer South Coast Message Board General › Important Announcement

Important Announcement

Richard A.
richie_allen
Bournemouth, GB
Hey there,

Please read, an important announcement follows (for those that were unable to attend last night's session)...

11 years ago we started as the NxtGenUG Southampton which is where we learned how to run a user group - many thanks to Dave McMahon, Rich Costall and John Price for "showing us the way" and helping us build the foundations of a group that both myself and John are immensely proud of.

6 years later, due to the success of NxtGenUG and subsequent growing pains, we decided to branch off on our own and rebrand as Developer South Coast - the user group you know and love today.

In that time we have never missed a session. Which means we have hosted over 132 sessions by sticking to our promise that there will always at least one session a month - no compromise.

In those sessions, we've seen some great speakers including but not limited to Uncle Bob, Jon Skeet, Troy Hunt, Glenn Block, Jason Zander, Liz Keogh, Mark Rendle, Ian Cooper, a whole host of MS developer evangelists (too many to mention by name I'm afraid) and many other great speakers too.

In addition to the sessions, we've run workshops, hack days, game jams and we even hosted a 200 person conference on Bournemouth Pier.

Also in that time, we've each grown our families with John having 2 kids and me having 3 :-)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after long deliberations, John and I have decided that this year, our 12th year, will be our "final run". It's time for us to bow out gracefully, quit while we're ahead etc. So October 2019, our 12th birthday, will be our final session.

"What does this mean for the user group?" I hear you say, well, it doesn't have to end. If you think you, or someone you know, might want to take over the helm of the good ship "Developer South Coast" and keep her running, then John and I would be more than happy to support and hand over the keys over the coming year. So get in touch if you fancy it!

We are working hard to go out with a bang and make 2019 full of great speakers. The list currently includes Mark Heath, Mark Rendle, Liz Keogh, Ian Cooper and Jon Skeet, so it's looking good so far.

On a more personal note, we'd like to thank you for being part of and supporting our community. Thank you for trusting us with your hard earned money, hopefully, we have delivered something that you have found valuable over the years.

Anyway, that's probably enough from me. If you've got any questions, just ping us a mail or add a comment to the meetup group.

Cheers

Rich and John