EU & Startups - two seperate worlds? Not at all: The EU provides funding for innovation, it regulates data protection and offers a framework for patents to protect your intellectual property. During this meetup you will have the chance to talk to and get feedback from experts who will explain how to use opportunities offered on a European level to scale up fast and to grow beyond national borders.
IMPORTANT: It is not sufficient to RSVP in this Meetup-Group. You will also need to get a ticket on this Eventbrite-Page (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/scale-up-europe-ipr-data-protection-and-funding-on-eu-level-tickets-19359006309) (0-23,8€)!
We will have three guests from Brussels on stage and time for drinks and discussions afterwards. Use the chance to pitch and get live feedback from our experts. Drinks will be sponsored by Telekom's hubraum!
Three speakers with top-knowledge regarding their field of expertise will give you insights of how the EU affects our Startup ecosystem and how EU-regulations and funding schemes are relevant for your startup if you want to scale up fast.
4pm: Johann Stan: How to get a patent on EU-Level
• How specific Startups have to be to claim a non obvious feature?
• What is the right balance for drafting good and clear claims which easily go through the patent office?
• Use the chance to pitch your project and get live-feedback from a top EU-Patent-Expert: How to draft a claim for your Startup: Tipps & Tricks.
4.45pm: Olivier Proust: Data Privacy in a World of Innovation
• A new data protection regulation will be adopted in Europe in 2016 introducing stricter obligations for controllers and processors.
• What are the main changes and what do you need to consider as a Startup?
• What is a European Data protection officer?
• What do we mean when we talk about data controller?
• What are the risks and sanctions. How does the EU enforce its Data Protection?
• Use the chance to pitch your project and get live-feedback from a top EU-Data-Protection-expert: Tipps & Tricks.
5.30 pm Networking Break
5.45: Kumardev Chatterjee: How to access up to 2,5 Mio. Euro EU-Funding
• Are you eligible for the SME-Instrument which offers up to 2,5 Mio. Euro for innovative Startups and SMEs?
• How do proposals for Phase 1 and Phase 2 look like?
• What does a typicall EU-evaluator look for?
• Use the chance to pitch your project and get live-feedback from a top EU-Funding-Expert: How to draft a claim for your Startup: Tipps & Tricks.
6.45 Open Discussion, Networking, free Beers & Drinks
Our Speakers: Three top-Experts from Brussels
• Johann Stan, Patent Examiner at European Patent Office
Protect your intellectual property - How to get a patent on EU level!
Johann is author of patents, publications and prototypes in various scientific fields, such as information extraction and privacy preservation. He is interested in developing technology that improves people’s lives. Johann is an expert in natural language processing technologies, machine learning and knowledge management.
• Oliver Proust, Of Counsel Fieldfisher
Across Borders - How to comply with Data Protection Laws!
Oliver is a European-qualified lawyer specialized in privacy, data protection and data security. He assists companies of all sizes and across sectors to comply with European data protection laws. He has successfully assisted international organizations on a whole range of privacy and data compliance issues, such as conducting privacy impact assessments, adopting a sustainable data management strategy, implementing appropriate measures for transferring personal data globally (e.g., intra-group data transfer agreements, binding corporate rules, model clauses, Safe Harbor) and implementing global privacy policies.
• Kumardev Chatterjee, president of the European Young Innovators Forum
EU-Funding for Startups - Get a grant!
Kumardev Chatterjee, Founder and President of the European Young Innovators Forum, has supported the Commission designing the SME-Instrument as an independent expert for three years. Kumardev is a highly regarded youth innovation leader, top-tier ICT industry professional and European Commission appointed expert, awarded as an "Innovation Luminary – Young Innovation Champion".
The Evening will be officially organised by EU Startup Services and supported by the Telekom's hub:raum. Make sure to get a ticket on this Eventbrite Page (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/scale-up-europe-ipr-data-protection-and-funding-on-eu-level-tickets-19359006309). EU Startup Services is a consulting company supporting startups to access EU Funing opportunitiy. The company is part of the European Youn Innovators Forum (EYIF) - Europe's main network for Young Innovators.