What we're about
I started this group to provide opportunities for dogs and their owners to get outdoors together. Most events involve off leash time with your dog. We are a friendly group of folks who love dogs and welcome new members! We are mainly a hiking group (with hikes of various distance and difficulty), but any dog-related activity is great and we especially welcome members who'd like to step up and organize events!.
Our meetup locations range from the local Sacramento area to the Sierras and anywhere in between! To check out the the group and our events please answer the profile questions, then we will approve you and start a 30 day free membership.
* All dog breeds are welcome as long as they behave appropriately with other dogs. People are welcome, with or without dogs, as long as they are dog lovers (you don't have to have a dog to join the group). We emphasize responsible dog ownership and our off-leash events are often limited in numbers to keep things under control and to represent our group well to others who share the trails. Prong/pinch and e-collars can create a negative association with other dogs and are not allowed at our events.*
If you enjoy the group, you can pay the $4 annual fee to remain a group member. Meetup offers an automatic system for this so I cannot make exceptions to this policy. You may do this via STRIPE by going to "membership dues" (link on left). If need be, you may send me a check but I prefer electronic and it is a secure system. This small fee helps me cover the fee to meetup to host the group.
Please read our group guidelines below.
Happy Trails and Woof! Jodi Cassell, Ky, and Rudi - vizslas, Beanie - pitty mix honorary vizsla
The following disclaimer, guidelines and resource links form the foundation for all group activities
Dog Lovers and Hiking Hounds of Sacramento events. Version 02-13-2022
Each person who participates accepts responsibility for making determinations regarding their and their dog(s) safety, conduct and well-being; recognizes possible hazards attending outdoor activities; and accepts responsibility for all risks and liability associated with their and their dog(s) behavior.
- Please make sure your dog behaves appropriately. This includes: being aware of what your dog is doing at all times and making sure interactions are appropriate between dogs in the group (meaning dogs are not repeatedly harassing dogs who are not into playing, etc.). “Arguments” between dogs happen occasionally, but let’s be proactive and try to prevent any problems before they occur as much as we can. Play is great as long as it's consensual! Your meetup organizer, Jodi Cassell is a fear free/positive reinforcement dog trainer, so if you are seeing any issues or have questions, please feel free to contact me.
- Prong/pinch and e-collars can create a negative association with other dogs and are not allowed at our events (a front clip harness is a great alternative for dogs who pull on leash, etc. Feel free to personal message Jodi Cassell for recommendations).
- Know and adhere to Leave No Trace (LNT) at all times. Encouraging others to do so is appreciated. Please carry bags and pick up after your dogs on all meetups!
- Please be considerate of others during lunch and snack breaks – if your dog begs from other group members, better to keep them on leash and with you during food breaks. This helps to prevent conflicts among dogs around food.
- Passengers in carpools – Please reimburse the carpool driver $4 driver per hour driven.
- If you have a question for a particular event that you signed up for or are running late, etc, you need to contact your "event host" who is listed at the top right of the list of attendees. It will say "event host" under their name, but it's easy to miss. Jodi (meetup organizer) does not organize or attend all events, so your question may go unanswered if you only contact her the day of and she is away.
- Post a detailed description of the meetup on the website. Please also post a cell phone number so people can call you if they get lost, are running late, etc.
- Please make certain that your attendees have responded “yes” to the group guidelines (under profile question #5 – click on the member to see their profile) prior to attending the meetup. Contact them if they have not. This is for your protection (although there are some generic protections provided by being a part of Meetup, most groups take his approach as well).
- Read the meetup description carefully. Be prepared physically and bring the proper equipment and trail supplies necessary for the hike. You are being unfair to other participants if you don’t do this.
- If you RSVP yes please show-up.
- Stay with your group.
- Rate your hike and provide a comment on your experience.
- Contact your organizer / leader directly with any questions, comments or concerns.
- Uploading and sharing pictures of your experience is appreciated.
- Thank your host! We are all volunteers and organization take effort and time – we need to appreciate folks who are willing to take on this task!
- Please pay your annual fee so I can keep this meetup going!
LNT Organization Home Page: http://www.lnt.org
Upcoming events (2)
Past events (656)
This content is available only to members