addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Downeast Humanists and Freethinkers Message Board › News from James Cormier; so glad he is okay!

News from James Cormier; so glad he is okay!

Nancy G.
user 8856801
Group Organizer
Bar Harbor, ME
Post #: 312
facebook message from Jim:
James Cormier
about an hour ago ·

Well. Where to begin. On Thursday I suffered a Myocardial Infarction, otherwise known as a heart attack.

The EMS community, hospitals, friends, and family have pulled me through and I am expected to make a full recovery. There will be some time before I can resume full activity.

I will likely be here at EMMC through the weekend and would like to receive guests if you happen to be in the Bangor area.

I am blessed to have such wonderful support from many of you and this will make recovery that much quicker.

I almost didn't make it. I would like to thank those at Memorial Ambulance in Deer Isle, Peninsula Ambulance in Blue Hill, and Blue Hill Memorial Hospital, as well as Penobscot Fire Chief Dennis Robertson and my boss and great friend Rick Hunnewell. Your resolve to bring me back from the abyss is greatly appreciated.

It is wonderful to be alive. They say life begins at 45.

To new beginnings.

JC
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 219
Thanks for the news Nancy. Glad Jim is going to be ok.
Jim C.
user 8857550
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 35
I am home now and things are going well. I have a perspective now that few people have. My heart stopped for more than a few minutes, but the flow of blood to my brain was still maintained by compressions to the chest. So I did not really die. That being said, there was no bright light or dead relatives greeting me, I did not hover over my body. I do have a recollection, there was utter nothing, but it was a peaceful nothing. I did sense some veige images, but they are hard to recover. It was like when sleeping.

Coming back was painful, strange, and austere, but once I was back I recognized it as a good thing! There was no time to fear, I kept my cool in the moments prior to the period of my unconscious state, repeating as much information I could about what I was experiencing to the paramedic. I knew that was the best I could do as I expected the heart attack soon after my arms went numb.

Again, the quickness to get help made all the difference and there are a few new heroes of mine in the Blue Hill area. Without the speedy reaction on everyones part, I almost certainly would not be here. Since I do not believe anything beyond our bodily death, this was sort of a bad situation. But if I had, it was relatively painless. But I would also echo the last words of Richard Feynman, "I'd hate to die twice, it's so boring."

Looking forward to my new lease on life in the Cosmos with a renewed sense of living every day to the fullest.

Peace.

Jim
Doug B.
user 8862280
Franklin, ME
Post #: 220
Glad to have you back with us. And thanks for sharing your experience. Take it easy for a while and if you need anything we can help with please let us know.