The course will increase your knowledge and awareness of legal issues facing start-ups and will train entrepreneurs how to evaluate legal risk which may be useful throughout a career. The workshop will run attendees through all of the legal aspects of starting a business including:
- Choosing which type of corporate vehicle to use and understanding filing,
- Accounting and reporting obligations;
- Shareholders agreements and articles of association;
- Legal aspects of raising finance;
- How to protect intellectual property – the basics;
- Employees and contractors;
- How to protect your business from liability.
The workshop will comprise: a lecture discussing legal issues faced by start-ups, especially in the technology sector; a ‘legal audit’ section teaching entrepreneurs how to do a legal health check of their own businesses; case studies (where things go wrong!); and a Q&A workshop to discuss any issues attendees want to raise.