What we're about
Hello! Welcome the word’s first drinking club dedicated to bridging the divide between Republicans and Democrats. Ideally, this Meetup aims to foster meaningful political discussions—and hopefully camaraderie—between people with opposing viewpoints. At the very least, it hopes to bring together people who share an interest in American politics. In order for this Meetup to be successful, we must keep these goals in mind:
1. In order to generate interesting discussions, we need a mix of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Preaching to the choir is not as fun—or as constructive—as debating issues. Consequently, since New York City is majority-Democrat, reaching out to non-liberals is a priority.
2. We need good topics to discuss at every Meetup. Topics can be specific or general. Possible topics include: privately-funded healthcare vs. publically-funded healthcare, interventionism vs. isolationism, conservatism vs. mainstream republicanism, Bernie vs. Hillary, Trump vs. the establishment, pragmatism vs. idealism, deportation vs. path to citizenship, flat tax vs. graduated tax, security vs. privacy, mental health reform vs. gun control, voter fraud vs. voter suppression, gerrymandering, student loans, the death penalty, women in combat, the pay gap, drug policy, welfare, the minimum wage, labor unions, education policy, terrorism, Israel, Iran, Syria…
3. We need to be able to respectfully discuss our differences. We’ll see whether alcohol helps or hinders achievement of this goal.
4. We need to not ONLY talk about politics. We also want to get to know each other and make new friends. Alcohol will definitely prove helpful in this regard.
5. We need to welcome people of various knowledge levels. Those with a lot of knowledge need to be both teachers and debaters.
More to come! Start spreading the word!