addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Durham Trans* Social Message Board › Group Name

Group Name

Stacey V.
user 47881462
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
Hi All,

I always say there are only two hard things in computer science, concurrent programming and naming things.

Alas, naming things seems to translate to everywhere else in life too :)

I had originally named the group "Durham Transgender Social" with the intent that it was inclusive of all gendered people.

Right now we're going with Durham Transgender & FtM Social but that sounds almost exclusive of MtF individuals, which is not our intent at all.

I'm hesitant to begin adding more labels to the title to promote our inclusivity, that will just spiral out of control...

I am also cognizant of the political nature of the word Transgender, and that there are people who don't feel they fall under that label, people who I'd like to include in this group.

We are focused on Durham Region, and this is a social group for making friends and having fun, so I'd like to keep the words Durham and Social.

I have a couple suggestions, and am looking for additional ideas if folks would like to weigh in:

- Durham Trans* Social
- Durham Transgender MtF & FtM Social
- Durham MtF & FtM Social

What do you think?
Miranda S
user 72658752
Ajax, ON
Post #: 2
How about:

- Durham Trans* and Gender Queer Social
or the first suggestion Durham Trans* Social works.

As you know there are quite a few people under the trans* unbrella who feel they don't fit the MtF or FtM labels such as those identifying as gender queer, gender fluid or androgynous so it may be best to not use them if we want them to feel welcomed.

There's my suggestion anyway and if I think of anything else I'll add it.