addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The East Bay Ruby Meetup Group Message Board › Discussions for October Meetup

Discussions for October Meetup

William S.
user 2403928
Oakland, CA
Post #: 9
Please comment on what you would like to discuss for the October meetup:

Allan Miller Wrote:
"One thing I'm interested in is the nature of, and rationale
behind, Rails scoping - what's visible where, when, and why?".

Chris Wrote:
"I would love to give/hear a presentation about: class << self;
self; end; end What does it mean and what can I do with it?".

Please replly with your ideas!
- Will
stevenwulf
user 2452154
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 1
I'm with Chris, I'm really interested in the ruby object model and such.
A former member
Post #: 2
I'm interested in listening to/presenting very short, 5 minute topics for the total newbie. Here are some possibilities -

You have coded a method which returns dates in a custom format - e.g.,
'September 9'. What is the code, and how do you make it available to
all your other code?

Analogous to unit, functional and integration testing, you want to test
helpers as you write them. How can you set that up in the existing
test framework?

Exactly what is the scope of a helper? - give examples.

What is the scope of the url_for helper and how does it process
parameters which may or may not be defined in that scope? - give
examples.

I also would like to know if these are too basic - or if there is anyone else out there who would appreciate presentations at this level...
-Robert
stevenwulf
user 2452154
Berkeley, CA
"What is the scope of the url_for helper and how does it process
parameters which may or may not be defined in that scope? - give
examples."

This has a lot to do with how the rails routing system works. I'd be willing to talk briefly about routes, the url_for helper and how they work together--can also talk about the scope of url_for. I may be able to do it in 5 minutes, but it may take closer to 10 minutes.
William S.
user 2403928
Oakland, CA
Post #: 10
This has a lot to do with how the rails routing system works. I'd be willing to talk briefly about routes, the url_for helper and how they work together--can also talk about the scope of url_for. I may be able to do it in 5 minutes, but it may take closer to 10 minutes.

I like the idea of 5-10 minute presentations. This sounds good presentation idea for Rails. I'll take you up on it! Would you also be willing to discuss how to implement unit tests to validate helper methods?

Cheers - Will
William S.
user 2403928
Oakland, CA
Post #: 11

Does anyone understand the Ruby object model well enough to give a brief 5-10 minute presentation? I think this would make a good intro discussion that may help to elucidate some additional issues. (If nobody volunteers, I'll take it.)
A former member
I will be happy to give:
A 10 Minute Introduction to Metaprogramming with Ruby

I will make it very high level and introductory, while trying to keep it under 10 minutes.

Chris

Does anyone understand the Ruby object model well enough to give a brief 5-10 minute presentation? I think this would make a good intro discussion that may help to elucidate some additional issues. (If nobody volunteers, I'll take it.)

William S.
user 2403928
Oakland, CA
Post #: 12
I will be happy to give:
A 10 Minute Introduction to Metaprogramming with Ruby

I will make it very high level and introductory, while trying to keep it under 10 minutes.

Chris

I think it's great to have a pure ruby presentation and show how the concepts in Ruby are the engine behind Rails' power.

Thanks,
- Will
A former member
Post #: 3
Are you suggesting that I use a rails metaprogramming example?

Chris
William S.
user 2403928
Oakland, CA
Post #: 13
Are you suggesting that I use a rails metaprogramming example?

Chris

No, I think a simpler example will be better. I just mention Rails because we can show how Ruby enables the Rails magic. Rails examples are too complex to give in a ten minute presentation, but hopefully people will extrapolate...

Thanks a lot for volunteering,
- Will