NO PLUS ONES OR GUESTS ON THIS RIDE! YOU MUST BE A MEMBER OF ENERGIZED TO PARTICIPATE. IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND WITH YOU, HAVE THAT PERSON SIGN UP WITH ENERGIZED AND RSVP FOR THIS MEET UP. IT'S EASY TO JOIN!
Join your ride organizers John, Patrick, Craig and Sylvia for a fun ride on the PET with the addition of some street riding to ride through the Victoria Park Tunnel. Please note that while we will not be racing and will leave no one behind this is NOT A BEGINNER RIDE! You should be able to ride at least 12 - 14 miles per hour on the flats and 6 - 9 mph on inclines. You should also be familiar with street riding and MUST have front and rear lights for your bike.
*** Note that your organizers may choose to change the route depending on the group and weather!
MILES: About 18 round trip with some slight inclines and about 3-4 miles street riding.
DIFFICULTY: Low moderate to moderate depending on your conditioning and bike riding experience.
WHAT TO BRING: Road or hybrid bike with gears and water. Bike helmets and lights are required. This is a night ride and we go on the street for part of the route!
Arrive no later than 5:45 p.m. and plan to ride out by 6:00 p.m.
RAIN CANCELS. CHECK MEETUP SITE 24 HOURS BEFORE THE EVENT AND BEFORE LEAVING YOUR HOME FOR UPDATES.
• Safety First: Bicyclists on public streets have the same rights and responsibilities as automobile and motorcycle drivers. California Bicycle Laws indicate that bicyclists:
• Must obey all traffic signals and stop signs.
• Must ride in the same direction as other traffic, not against it.
• Shall ride as near to the right curb or edge of the roadway as practical– not on the sidewalk.
• May legally move left to turn left, to pass a parked or moving vehicle, bicycle, animal, make a turn or avoid debris and other hazards.
• Should ride single file on a busy or narrow street
• Must make left and right turns in the same way that drivers do, using the same turn lanes.
• Must signal all their intentions to motorists and bicyclists near them.
All Energized Riders are expected follow these traffic laws to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride. Energized riders are required to wear a helmet and shoes on all rides and are encouraged to carry two extra tubes along with identification and emergency contact information in their bike pack or on their person. For a full list of CA Bicyclist laws go to http://www.dmv.ca.gov... (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/bicycle.htm)
DISCLAIMER/WAIVER OF LIABILITY: PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE SIGNING UP FOR THIS BIKE RIDE.
THESE ASST. ORGANIZERS ARE NOT PROFESSIONAL BICYCLE RIDERS OR TRAINED LEADERS AND ARE NOT TRAINED TO HANDLE MEDICAL EMERGENCIES. YOU AND YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING WHETHER YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO COMPLETE THIS ACTIVITY AND FOR BEING APPROPRIATELY EQUIPPED FOR THE BIKE RIDE. PLEASE CARRY YOUR OWN PERSONAL EMERGENCY MEDICAL KIT. BIKING IS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ACTIVITY AND CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURIES INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED FALL ACCIDENTS, FRACTURES, COLLISIONS WITH MOTORISTS, HEAD INJURIES, AND HEAT STROKE/EXHAUSTION.
BY SIGNING UP FOR THIS MEETUP, YOU AGREE TO HOLD THE ORGANIZERS HARMLESS FROM ANY LIABILITY RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATION IN THIS ACTIVITY.
ALWAYS REMEMBER TO PRACTICE SAFE BICYCLE RIDING ON THE BIKE TRAIL, STREETS, AND STREET CROSSINGS. LET THE BIKE ORGANIZER KNOW IF YOU ARE LEAVING THE GROUP, AND USE YOUR OWN COMMON SENSE.