Let's sketch at Lake Merritt!
America's first wildlife sanctuary is in downtown Oakland, an easy walk from BART. You and your sketchbook can get up close and personal with Canada Geese, egrets, herons, ducks and more. And there's great peoplewatching, and cityscapes.
If you get tired of drawing birds, trees and city buildings, you can put your sketchbook down, stretch out on the sunny lawn by the water and just notice that life is good.
Meet at 11:00am at the lake side of the Rotary Nature Center (https://localwiki.org/oakland/Rotary_Nature_Center)
* 600 Bellevue Ave, Oakland, CA 94612.
Call or text me (Kate) at[masked] if you can't find us.
* View Google map (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rotary+Nature+Centeremail@example.com,-122.2582008,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x808f874eba955d69:0x488ee60c334d0500)
At the meetup:
• We'll meet at 11:00 and kick off with a group warm-up activity, then spread out and sketch some cool stuff.
• At 2:30 pm we'll meet back at the starting point for group gallery and feedback.
• Feel free to stay after and sketch more.
Materials: Bring your own materials: pencils, paper, paints, pens. Also recommended: stool or chair, hat, sunscreen, a snack and water.
Transit: The lake is well-served by bus routes and fairly close to BART.
• BART: Walk about 12 blocks from 19th Street BART station, or catch the #12 bus from Broadway and 20th, and get off on Grand at Perkins Street, walk a block down to the lake.
• Parking around the lake is possible, but it gets busy by 10am. If you drive, you may want to come before 11am.
• Parking is available in the part for a fee (I think it's $5 per car on weekends.)
• If you're interested in carpooling, post a message here and we'll coordinate rides to make parking easier.