Let's go enjoy a guided hike in Lynch Canyon and learn a little about nature at the same time.
Today’s hike launches our seventh season of raptor tours and workshops on Land Trust properties! Join Larry Broderick and the Solano Land Trust Raptor Team for a hiking tour featuring resident, migrating and over-wintering birds of prey. Previous sightings include Golden Eagles, Bald Eagles, Rough-legged Hawks, Cooper's Hawks, Sharp-shinned Hawks, Ferruginous Hawks, Peregrine Falcons, Prairie Falcons and other more common birds of prey.
Broderick brings over 25 years of experience studying, researching, identifying, rescuing and rehabilitating birds of prey. Over the last decade he has been sharing his love of hawks on these Solano Land Trust raptor hikes and tours. He’s a gifted and entertaining teacher who is anxious to share his knowledge of and passion for raptors with anyone who is interested. He distinguishes a Ferruginous Hawk from a Red-tailed Hawk or a Prairie Falcon from a Peregrine Falcon from great distances. He is known to demonstrate wing beat movements and wing configuration patterns of different species using his spread arms.
WHAT TO BRING:
· Binoculars - highly recommended. Birds of prey are often seen at a distance and binoculars will enhance your experience.
· A backpack with plenty of water and snacks (there is no potable water on the property);
· Boots or sturdy closed-toe shoes;
· Long, sturdy pants and layered clothes that you don't mind getting dirty;
· Protection from sun, wind, and fog;
· Cash for parking ($5) and optional donation.
· Also recommended: Camera, bug repellent, hiking sticks, and a picnic lunch for afterwards.
All ages are welcome, but participants must be prepared for a slow-to-moderate pace covering about 4 miles on uneven terrain, possibly off-trail, up and down rugged, steep, and slippery hills that are full of sticky seeds, thorny plants and thistle, and passing free range cattle along the way.
COST: Free (donations are appreciated)
We'll meet in the parking lot at 9:45am sharp.