Talk to practicing teachers using technology with the students at Wellington High School (WHS). This is an opportunity for those who identify as being in the EdTech sector to see, hear and learn what EdTech really looks like in a school environment.
This hands-on and special meetup will run as follows:
1. Meet at 12.30 at the WHS library after signing in at the office (for car parking and access stickers)
2. Welcome and intro by WHS Principal Dominic Killalea and Deputy Principal Karen Spencer and an explanation of what WHS is doing in the digital (and analogue) technology areas (10 mins)
3. Peter Jessop (Head of Technology) will facilitate a short panel between staff, students and EdTech visitors. This will provide an opportunity for EdTech visitors to talk with the students and staff that are benefiting from technology.
A) This will run from from 12:40pm to 1.15pm and is a discussion panel format hosted by Peter Jessop and co-moderated by Dan Milward where the EdTech attendees can describe what they do, what they offer, and what they would like to see in terms of links with WHS - the possibilities for startups accelerators and partnerships with staff and students.
B) The last 15 minutes (from 1.00pm to 1.15pm) is handled by Peter Jessop and is for teacher feedback, offers, questions, thoughts from staff and students.
4. At 1.20pm we will break into 2 groups called DIGITAL and STEAM Tech Groups as follows:
DIGITAL Tech will visit the following computer labs and workshops to see what DIGITAL EdTech looks like at WHS:
- Maths, tech and Learning Management Systems - Ben Britton (10 mins)
- Robotics, gaming, coding and design class - Rosi Yourukova, (10 mins)
- 3D Printing, Robotics, Coding and DigiTech Vince Brannigan (10 mins)
- Plastic Materials, Acoustics, Skateboards, tech with Terry Hawkings (10 mins)
- Hard materials tech with Paul MacDougall (10 mins)
STEAM Tech will visit the following labs, studios, kitchens and workshops to see what STEAM EdTech looks like in labs, studios, kitchens and classrooms at WHS:
- Food tech & CREST with Natalie Randall and Bob Naylor (10 mins)
- Fashion tech with Kylie Merrick (10 mins)
- Art tech with Lou Wycherly, Tim Li (FT as well) and Jania Bates (HOD) (10 mins)
- Earth Space Science, Physics IYPT tech, Kerry Parker & Eric Tan (ChemTech) (10 mins)
- Physics tech and IYNT and Science Enrichment - Murray Chisholm (10 mins)
STEAM group closing remarks from Nicola Dow HOD Science and any questions answered (10 mins)
5. Finish 2.20pm or stay in room S404 with Tony Cairns to see TechLive in a Science Lab with Students from Riley