PLEASE CHECK MEETUP ON DAY OF RIDE TO CONFIRM IT'S GOING AHEAD - it may be cancelled due to horrible weather or unforeseen circumstances.
- Distance: 25 miles
- Difficulty: Intermediate to intermediate+ depending on your fitness
- Climb: 1,400 feet in total (couple of hills but nothing horrific)
- Bike: Hybrid, Cross, Gravel/Adventure or MTB. No skinny tyres please.
- Terrain: Mixture of gravelly off-road, well-maintained path and quiet roads. One small stretch of slightly busier road, several cattle grids.
Join Claire and Rebecca as we explore some of the lovely estates, off-road paths and quieter roads to the west of the city, with a well-earned cafe stop at Craigie's Farm for lunch or tea/cake.
We'll start at the Russell Road zigzags, getting us on to the North Edinburgh Path Network. After zooming down to Barnton mainly off-road, we'll pick up the NCN76 through the Dalmeny Estate.
We'll explore some of the paths in the estate, making a wee detour to see the easter island heads (!), before heading on through Dalmeny and then taking a sneaky farmer's track to Craigie's Farm.
After our tea stop, we'll cycle a slightly busier stretch of road to connect to the River Almond and Cammo Estate and explore a few paths in there, before heading back to Roseburn via the city's quiet route 9.
Note - we will be passing through a field with sheep and cows, and the Cammo estate can be full of dogs and dog walkers, so just a heads up for participants. Some of the sections are quite gravelly and there are several cattle grids, so good bike handling skills are needed.
Any questions, please pop them up and we'll do our best to answer them!
Some stuff to remember:
• Appropriate clothes for the day (could be cold or wet, or roasting hot), multiple layers are best
• Spare inner tube that fits your wheel size/tyre - do not forget!
• Will you need sun screen?
• Snacks and water
• Money for tea/coffee/cake or lunch:-)
• Please keep your RSVP updated and remove yourself from the list if you can no longer make it, as a courtesy to others, if there is a waiting list. Thanks!