The Edmonton Trail Trekkers Meetup group is all about getting out of the city for Sunday day hikes year round. During the winter there will also be cross country skiing and snowshoeing. The main goals for members of my group are to explore different areas around Edmonton, get some great exercise, maintain our mental health, meet new people, have some laughs and learn about and connect with nature.
Note: This group will primarily be running events on Sundays, however there may be the occasional event on Saturdays.
Events will primarily be between 3-7 hours total with travel time depending on where we go. Actual hiking time will be 3-4 hours travelling a distance of up to ~15 km (sometimes a bit more depending on where we are) at a moderate pace of 4.5 to 5 km/hour. We always start early in the morning, primarily 9:00 am or 9:30 am. On hot days or places 2.5 hours away we can start as early as 7 am.
What to Expect
1. Great exercise, minimize stress and connect with nature,
2. Small groups of 6-12 people,
3. Exploring hiking trails outside Edmonton,
4. Occasional off trail bush whacking adventures,
5. Learn something new during each event (e.g., plant and animal identification, map reading, etc.),
6. Although it is expected that you can maintain a moderate pace, we are not all about getting from point A to point B fast. There are opportunities to stop, enjoy nature, take photos and identify plants and animals.
7. Planned lunch breaks at picnic shelters, viewpoints, random spots near lakes, rivers or under the forest canopy.
8. Up to 4 events per month during the summer/fall months. At least 2 events per month during the spring/winter months.
Please consider the following before signing up:
1. You are over 18,
2. You are available for Sunday day hikes that start early in the morning,
3. You are physically capable of hiking up to 15 km at a moderate pace of 4.5 to 5 km/hour, and
4. You are serious about actually coming out on a hike.
We’ll explore areas around Edmonton such as but not limited to: Blackfoot/Cooking Lake, Devon, Chickakoo, Drayton Valley, Athabasca, Fort Assiniboine, Whitecourt, Edson, Redwater, Miquelon Lake and Elk Island National Park.
1. Safety first,
2. Be on time,
3. Respect each other, and
4. Have fun.
1. Please provide a recognizable picture of yourself on your profile. This is for safety reasons and to make it easier to complete organizer duties such as recording fee payments and to recognize you when we meet.
2. Members who have RSVP’d yes for an event and don’t show up will be considered a no show. After 3 no shows, they will be removed from the group.
3. Children and pets are not permitted.
4. Guests are permitted provided they can handle the pace and distance as set out in the description of the event.
5. Wear clothing appropriate for the event and the weather.
6. Members who have not visited the Trail Trekkers website for more than 1 year, will be deemed to not be interested and will be removed from membership. There is the option to rejoin the group at a later date.
1. There is fee of $2 per event up to $20 (10 events) per calendar year. Fees collected go towards paying for the Meetup website.
2. To minimize our environmental footprint carpooling is recommended as much possible, however there will be options to meet at the event. Carpool costs will be reasonable and depend on the distance travelled (e.g., recommended carpool fee for an event out at Blackfoot/Cooking Lake Recreation Area is $5). (Until further notice there will not be any organized car pooling).