Trail Trekkers is all about getting outside of Edmonton for Sunday day hikes during the spring/summer/fall and cross-country skiing/snowshoeing in the winter. The goal is to explore different areas around Edmonton, get some great exercise, meet new people, have some laughs and learn about plants, animals and map reading.
Note: This group will primarily be running events on Sundays, however there may be the occasional day hike event on Saturdays and potentially some overnight mountain trips.
Events will primarily be 6-7 hours total with travel time. Actual hiking time will be 3-4 hours travelling a distance of up to 15 km at a moderate pace of 4.5 to 5 km/hour.
What to Expect
· Great way to exercise, minimize stress and connect with nature,
· Small groups of up to 10-12 people,
· Exploring new places in the Edmonton area to hike,
· Occasional off trail bush whacking adventures,
· Learn something new during each event (e.g., plant and animal identification, map reading, etc).
· Planned lunch breaks at picnic shelters or view points,
· Up to 4 events per month during the summer/fall months. At least 2 events per month during the spring/winter months.
Please consider the following before signing up:
1. You are over 18,
2. You are available to hike on Sunday’s, and
3. You are capable of hiking up to 15 km at a moderate pace of 4.5 to 5 km/hour.
We’ll explore areas around Edmonton such as but not limited to Blackfoot/Cooking Lake Recreation Area, Drayton Valley, Athabasca, Tawatinaw Valley, Fort Assiniboine Sand Hills, Whitecourt Sand Hills, Edson Hornbeck Trails, Redwater Sandhills, Miquelon Lake and Elk Island National Park.
Safety first, be on time, respect each other and have fun.
1. Please provide a recognizable picture of yourself on your profile. This is for safety reasons and to make it easier to complete organizer duties such as recording fee payments and to recognize you when we meet.
2. Members who have RSVP’d YES for an event and don’t show up will be considered a no who. After 3 no shows, they will be removed from the group.
3. Children and pets are not permitted.
4. Guests are permitted provided they can handle the pace and distance as set out in the description of the event.
5. Wear clothing appropriate for hiking and the weather.
6. Members who have not visited the Trail Trekkers website for more than 3 months, will be deemed to not be interested in the events and will be removed from membership. However, they can rejoin the group at a later date.
1. There is fee of $2 per event or $10 per year. Fees collected go towards costs associated with maintaining the Meetup website.
2. To minimize our environmental footprint carpooling is recommended as much possible, however there will be options to meet at the event. Carpool costs will be reasonable and depend on the distance travelled (e.g., recommended carpool fee for an event out at Blackfoot/Cooking Lake Recreation Area is $5).