What we're about
Enough Already! Get Moving, Start Losing™
Welcome Back! We’ve been on hiatus for a long time due to a serious ankle injury by our group leader. Then just as she recovered, we had endless COVID. We’re BACK and we’re so excited to see you.
FULLY VACCINATED WELCOME and since we're outside, no need to wear masks. However, if you feel more comfortable wearing a mask, feel free to do so – and keep your distance from others if this is comfortable for you – and/or if you or someone else is immunocompromised in your life.
Enough Already! Get Moving, Start Losing™ is a fun fitness group that revolves mostly around offering hikes nearby or at a distance away from our home base which is Ithaca, NY. The organizers do not coordinate carpooling, but we do invite you to do so. We have had other fun fitness activities like night walks to shows, cycling, and even camping. Overall, we’re a diverse group of wonderful people deeply devoted to mind, body, and spiritual wellness.
*Please COME ON TIME.
We are starting the hikes and ending them ON TIME - as many of us have to do other tasks and we can’t hold the group waiting for you. Please factor in time for getting lost, parking and etc. when coming to a hike. If you paid and do not arrive on time you will not be refunded.
MORE THAN HIKES, BUT WE MOSTLY HIKE
We offer mostly hikes, although other excursions including biking, short walks, and gym meet-ups sometimes occur. RE: our hikes - You will find that most of our hikes cover a variety of fitness levels, but do read the descriptions carefully so you understand the duration and terrain so that you can prepare accordingly. You hike at your own risk, always. Please remember to go at your own pace and bring a friend. Do not hike alone, please keep pace with the group always in sight. If you end up leaving and turning back, please text the hiking leader(s) so that we won’t look for you in headcount.
WE ARE NOT A PLACE TO FIND DATES
Check the schedule because anything can happen – except for coming to this space looking for a date. We’re just not that kind of group so please don’t come with any agenda beyond wellness, fitness, weight loss, and/or friendship. Naturally, we welcome couples, but we do not welcome drama from couples! We’ve had people in arguments with one another in a couple in the past and this just creates unnecessary drama and toxicity, so come to the activities fight-free or please stay home. Also, we’ve had to remove group members who were making others uncomfortable with advances and we will not hesitate to do so in the future.
AROUND FOR MANY YEARS
Over the years, many folks of all ages, backgrounds, sizes, skin colors, orientations, genders, gender orientations, gender expression, non-binary persons, GBTQia+, varying religions, beliefs, agnostics/atheists, nature lovers, political parties, or those ambivalent about politics, and ideologies - accompanied at times by their children, neighbors, partners, and canine companions - have made deep, lasting friendships across differences that span a variety of cultures and experiences.
PERKS OF THE OUTDOORS FOR MIND, BODY, AND SPIRIT
Hiking outdoors has many perks - nice views, fresh air, and the sounds and smells of nature. Hiking is also a powerful cardio workout that can lower your risk of heart disease, boost bone density (since walking is a weight-bearing exercise), and build strength in your glutes, quadriceps, and hamstrings, as well as muscles in your hips and lower legs. Hiking can also strengthen your core, improve your balance, and boost your mood.
Group Leader and entrepreneur Michelle Courtney Berry, is an internationally certified stress de-briefer, coach, Usui Reiki Master, and Karuna Reiki® Master Teacher, certified trainer, and transformative motivational speaker who's opened for The Dalai Lama and Dr. Maya Angelou. In April 2014, Michelle was the #1 female and placed #4 overall out of 44,000 participants in the national “Total Lean Challenge” sponsored by Map My Fitness and GNC. In spring 2015, Michelle was once again in the top 1% of the nation out of 76,000 participants in the Map My Fitness "Total Degree Challenge" with Chris Powell.
Michelle has also walked on fire and climbed one of the highest peaks in the Adirondacks. She holds a graduate degree in Communication from Cornell University and a dual BA degree in English, Literature, Rhetoric, and Political Science from Binghamton University.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY WAIVER
Whenever you attend any of the events organized by this MeetUp group, either by signing up on the app or appearing in person without signing up on the app, you are bound by the details of this waiver and agreement below for any and all activities you take part in.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY FOR ENOUGH ALREADY! GET MOVING, START LOSING! ™
- Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnification Agreement. This document affects your legal rights.. Activity and Associated Risks: I have chosen to participate in an outdoor recreational activity or another fitness excursion indoors or outdoors (hereinafter referred to as “the Activity”) with Enough Already! Get Moving, Start Losing! ™ (hereinafter referred to as “EAGMSL”). I understand that:• EAGMSL is not a guide service and therefore makes NO WARRANTIES, PROMISES, or GUARANTEES that the Activity is safe for family or me. I understand that EAGMSL has not verified or approved the safety of the activity listed on our events calendars, although Club Organizers do check trail conditions regularly and communicate trail updates for your review, discretion, and approval regularly through the use of the Meetup app (both mobile and desktop) It is, however, my solely my responsibility to determine whether I think the Activity or Activities exposes my family, pets, or myself to an unreasonable risk of harm or loss;• hiking and other fitness excursions offered by EAGMSL may be inherently dangerous activities. While hiking my child(ren) and/or myself may be exposed to dangers and hazards, including but not limited to: falling rocks, inclement weather, hostile or aggressive wildlife, falls, fractures, concussions, equipment failures, negligence of others, drowning, and/or death: as well as exposure to canines who often join their owners on these hikes. Canine companions are always to be kept leashed and with their owners on each hike that is approved for dogs to join. However, if my canine should bite, attack, alarm, or harm another hiker, EAGMSL may not be sued or held liable for those distressful actions, though you as pet owner may face liability for those actions directly.• because of these risks, my child(ren) and/or myself may be seriously hurt, disabled or may die from resulting injuries, and my property may also be damaged;• hospital facilities, qualified medical care, and emergency medical evacuation may be limited or unavailable during all or portions of the activity; and• EAGMSL assumes no responsibility for providing medical care during the activity, and I will have to pay for any medical care and/or evacuation that I and/or my family incur. Club organizers typically know first aid and CPR, and carry generic first aid kits for minor injuries, but they assume no risk and they may decline to provide any care if your wounds are too severe and require immediate medical attention. You are strongly advised to bring your own medications, prescriptions, inhalers, health insurance information, and first aid materials yourself.
- Assumption of the Risk: I voluntarily, knowingly, and expressly assume the above-mentioned risks as well as other risks not listed that are part of the activity, and any harm, injury or loss that may occur to me or my property as a result in my participation in the Activity or during any transportation to or from the Activity—including any injury or loss caused by the negligence of EAGMSL, its employees, agents, and officers, its contractors, and other Activity participants. I also understand that any equipment I provide or may borrow or rent from EAGMSL or any other provider I used at my own risk and that any such equipment is provided without any warranty about its condition or suitability.
- RELEASE OF LIABILITY: I hereby RELEASE EAGMSL, its owners or members, heirs, agents, attorneys, employees, assigns, other participants, sponsors, advertisers, contractors, equipment providers, landowners, municipal or governmental providers of use permits, and their respective employees, officers, and directors (“the Released Parties) FROM ALL LIABILITIES, CAUSES OF ACTION, CLAIMS AND DEMANDS that arise in any way from any injury, death, loss or harm that occur to me or to any other person or to any property during the Activity or in any way related to the Activity, including during transportation to or from the Activity. This RELEASE includes claims for the negligence of the Released Parties and claims for strict liability for abnormally dangerous activities. This RELEASE does not extend to claims excluded from being waived by law. I also agree NOT TO SUE or make a claim against the Released Parties for death, injury, loss, harm, or property damage or destruction which occur during the Activity or is related in any way to the Activity.
- INDEMNIFICATION HOLD HARMLESS AND DEFEND: I promise to INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS AND DEFEND the Released Parties (defined in Section 3) against all claims to which Section 3 of this agreement applies, including claims for their own negligence. I also promise to INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS AND DEFEND the Released Parties against all claims for my own negligence, and any other claim arising from my conduct during the Activity. In accordance with these promises, I will reimburse the Released Parties for any damages, reasonable settlements, and defense costs, including attorney fees that they incur because of any such claims made against them. I agree that in the event of my death or disability, the terms of this agreement, including the indemnification obligation in this Section, will be binding on my estate, and my personal representative, executor, administrator or guardian will be obligated to respect and enforce them.
- HIKING AND FITNESS EXCURSION ORGANIZERS: EAGMSL encourages everyone to participate by hosting hikes and other activities that they may offer on the Meetup site. I acknowledge that EAGMSL has no control over and assumes no responsibility for the actions of any hike or other fitness excursion hosts at any time before, during, and after the Activity. I acknowledge that EAGMSL has no control over and assumes no responsibility for the actions of any independent contractors providing any services for the Activity. Additionally, I know that hiking organizers, ambassadors, guest guides and other volunteers may offer their help, advice, adjustment, etc. I receive from these individuals should not be construed as professional advice but merely friendly suggestions. It is my responsibility to make sure I am familiar and comfortable with whatever method I choose to use in transportation and other ways I choose to engage, participate, and enjoy these activities with guests, children, family members, and other associates.
- INSURANCE: I do not expect EAGMSL to provide insurance or pay for any costs associated with harm, including being injured or killed, to my family or myself. I know that I have the option to purchase my own insurance. If I were to suffer any type of loss during the Activity, I would not want my loss to negatively impact EAGMSL. As I am assuming all the risks associated with the Activity, I would find it harsh and inequitable to ask EAGMSL for indemnification relating to any events occurring during the Activity.
- EAGMSL AND THE COMMUNITY: I believe EAGMSL serves a compelling public interest. It is important to me to see that EAGMSL maintains a strong public presence so that participants of all ages, children and their caregivers, and even their canine companions are inspired to get out and explore nature and the outdoors. I would not want to see EAGMSL limit or restrict its activities because of concerns over liability. Participating in the Activity with EAGMSL is a purely recreational endeavor. I know there are numerous trails, campsites, parks, and other natural areas available throughout my area where I could hike and enjoy other outdoor recreational activities without limiting my rights as a plaintiff. I do not believe this agreement reflects a disparity in bargaining power. I view Enough Already! Get Moving, Start Losing! as a group of like-minded participants working together to further common goals related to mind, body, and spiritual development, fitness, weight loss, team building, diversity and inclusion, and other community-minded goals. I view myself as a member of the organization and I understand that if I do not like the terms of the waiver, I am free to submit a counter-proposal to EAGMSL organizers or refuse to sign and participate in club activities.
- USE OF MY LIKENESS: I understand that during the Activity I may be photographed or videotaped. To the fullest extent allowed by law, I waive all rights of publicity or privacy or pre-approval that I have for any such likeness of my family or myself or use of my name in connection with such likeness, and I grant to EAGMSL and its sponsors, partners, advertisers, and assigns permission to copyright, use, and publish (including by electronic means) such likeness of me, whether in whole or part, in any form, without restrictions, and for any purpose.
- SEVERABILITY: I agree that the purpose of this agreement is that it shall be an enforceable RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY as broad and inclusive as is permitted by law. I agree that if any portion or provision of this agreement is found to be invalid or unenforceable, then the remainder will continue in full force and effect. I also agree that any invalid provision will be modified or partially enforced to the maximum extent permitted by law to carry out the purpose of the agreement.10. MEDIATION AND ARBITRATION AGREEMENT: This agreement is governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the state of New York, without any reference to its choice of law rules. Any controversy or claim arising out of this agreement or in any way associated with the Activity shall be settled by arbitration in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”). All hearings and other procedures shall be held in Tompkins County, in the State of New York, between an Arbitrator who is a licensed attorney with at least 5 years of experience. A judgment upon the award rendered by the Arbitrator shall be entered in a court with competent jurisdiction. As a condition precedent to the filing of an arbitration claim, the parties agree to first mediate any claims between them. Any party refusing to mediate shall not prevent the other party or parties from pursuing their claims in arbitration. The arbitrator’s decision shall be final, and binding, and judgment may be entered thereon. In the event a party fails to proceed with arbitration, unsuccessfully challenges the arbitrator’s award, or fails to comply with the arbitrator’s award, the other party is entitled to costs of suit including a reasonable attorney’s fee for having to compel arbitration or defend or enforce the award. I HAVE FULLY INFORMED MYSELF OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS AGREEMENT BY READING IT BEFORE SIGNING IT. NO ORAL REPRESENTATIONS, STATEMENTS, OR OTHER INDUCEMENTS TO SIGN THIS RELEASE HAVE BEEN MADE APART FROM WHAT IS CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT. I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A CONTRACT THAT AFFECTS MY LEGAL RIGHTS AND I SIGN IT OF MY OWN FREE WILL. THIS CONTRACT CONTAINS A BINDING ARBITRATION PROVISION THAT MAY BE ENFORCED BY THE PARTIES. If the participant is under 18 years of age, the parent assumes all responsibility for the minor party. In consideration of the minor child being permitted to participate in the Activity, I accept and agree to the full contents of this agreement. I certify that I have the authority to sign on behalf of the minor child and to make decisions for the minor child regarding this Activity. I also agree to RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS, INDEMNIFY AND DEFEND the Released Parties (defined in Section 3) from all liabilities and claims that arise in any way from any injury, death, loss, or harm that occurs to the minor child during the Activity or in any way related to the Activity. This includes any claim of the minor and any claim arising from the negligence of the Released Parties.
Upcoming events (3)
Past events (443)
This content is available only to members