This is a meetup for environmental data professionals and students to meet other like minded people and learn new skills. While there are a number of data scientist and programming meetups in the Portland area we feel that its important to our members that this one be rooted in the environmental data field.
Our members are professionals and students who manage and analyze environmental data or would like to learn from others in the field. The field is broad and the topics will be anything where data, environment and technology meet. Such as:
• Designing/building/operating databases
• Analyzing data using R (early to advanced)
• Topics in multivariate and univariate analysis of environmental data
• Designing field studies and collecting field data
• Remote data collection (camera, microphone, sensor, satellite etc)
• Visualization of environmental data (figures, plots, maps)
• Building/using web visualization tools
• DIY sensors and measuring the environment
• Aquatic, terrestrial and Air topics are all welcome and will be explored.
We have a huge community of environental data scientists in Portland and we would like to bring them together on occasion so that we can build a stronger network and learn from each other. Members can expect workshop and discussion styled meetups. We would like to see a mentor style setup where those that know assist those that want to learn.