What we're about
DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ James Baldwin's Go Tell it on the Mountain before May 22nd?
WE ARE ACTIVELY SEEKING NEW MEMBERS!
•RSVP TO JOIN US FOR A NOVEL AND A GREAT MEAL .
MEET THE GROUP, AND HELP US PLAN FUTURE FUN MEETUPS!
This is a group for those interested in reading classic novels and participating in lightly moderated book discussions while eating a great meal and for those interested in reading and discussing selected short stories.
I started this group to meet others who enjoy classic and modern classic fiction.
Erie Dinner and a Classic Book Discussion Group usually meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:30 P.M.
We choose our book and short story selections as a group; they are posted approximately three months in advance of the Meetup.
DISCUSSION GUIDELINES FOR CLASSIC BOOKS AND SHORT STORIES
Our members have decided to use the following general discussion questions because we feel they provide a good starting point for creating our own dynamic, interesting and entertaining discussion of our Meetup book or story of the month!
1. What was unique about the setting of the book/story and how did it enhance or take away from the story?
2. What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel/story? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader?
3. Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?
4. How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?
5. In what ways do the events in the book/story reveal evidence of the author's world view?
6. Did certain parts of the book/story make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way? Did this lead to a new understanding or awareness of some aspect of your life you might not have thought about before?
COME JOIN US!
Please email or call Organizer, Margaret, if you have questions about our groups.
Most of our Meetups are in Erie, especially during the winter.
Thank you for your interest in Erie Dinner and a Classic Book.
Please take a moment to review our informal discussion guidelines on our "about" page, and please RSVP for any Meetup you'd like to attend (and change RSVP to "NO" as soon as you find you may not attend). If you RSVP for a Meetup, I'll text you a day or two before the Meetup to confirm that you're attending and let you know if the Meetup is still on. Sometimes we postpone a Meetup if less than three long-standing members are attending.
We look forward to meeting you at our next Meetup!