Who does not like to visit a zoo? Did you know that Antwerp houses a superb zoo right next to its Central Station? Wouldn't you love to go there with a group of expats and learn all about what it takes to manage such a park with over 1 million visitors per year?
Let's get up close with all those magnificent animals from all over the world. From creepy crawlers, butterflies and amphibians to the impressive big cats, bears and giraffes. Founded in 1843, Antwerp Zoo is one of the oldest in the world and has a rich history. For instance, in 1920 it hosted the boxing and wrestling events for the Summer Olympics. And many concerts have been organised here as well.
On this daytrip by train we will not only explore the zoo as normal visitors, but we will also enjoy exclusive backstage access! Two expert guides will take us to the places behind those doors that say "STAFF ONLY" and tell us everything about managing a zoo from an operational viewpoint. They will take us to the sea lion accommodation, the private "residences" of the lions and tigers (unless they are inside for obvious reasons), and the veterinarian quarters. We will learn what it takes to take care of over about 1,000 different species in the park, and what technologies, procedures and logistics are necessary to guarantee the health and safety of both animals and visitors. Please note that the number of animals we will see during this 1,5 hours backstage tour is limited.
After the tour you are free to explore the zoo yourself, either in smaller groups or on your own. We'll meet again in the mid-afternoon at the exit of the park and visit a nice bar in Antwerp. You could also explore the city on your own. More information follows soon on this part.
This concerns a daytrip by train. We will leave around 09h00 from Brussels Midi, followed by Central Station and the Nord Station (you can enter at any stop). We will return to Brussels around 18h00. Please note that we must travel together as a group as we have reserved seats.
• The minimum number of participants is 15, the maximum number is 40 (for the guided tour, unlimited for the daytrip without guided tour).
• You can cancel your participation for a full refund (minus €5 administration fee) until Sunday 3 November. You can always change the name on the ticket, even up until departure.
• Due to some small corridors and steep staircases, this tour tour is not available for people with limited mobility.
• Strictly no children allowed under 12 years of age for the backstage tour. All children can get a €5 discount on the trip itself, whether s/he joins the backstage tour or not. It would be best to simply book a ticket and request a 5 euro refund as discount.
• If you do not want, or cannot join the backstage tour, please contact us as you can still visit the zoo itself and join us for the rest of the trip. Best would be to simply book your ticket and request a €5 refund for skipping the backstage tour.
• All the animal pictures shown are are under copyright of Antwerp Zoo