addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Calgary Board Gaming Events Message Board › Looking for other women who like strategy games

Looking for other women who like strategy games

Sue
user 9135113
Calgary, AB
Post #: 10
Hi all!

First off... I have nothing against guys... but I am noticing the gaming crowd in Calgary (and perhaps everywhere) is really male dominated. I'm wondering... where are the female boardgamers out there?

Would love to get a little group together to play, and not make it too intense, so those of us that are newer to a game or a bit slower aren't scared off. Might be nice to hang out a bit too - not be too serious about the games, but maybe enjoy a drink and each other's company while we play.

Some games I like to play include: Settlers of Catan (and the various expansions), Agricola, 7 Wonders, Roll Through the Ages, Cuba, Primordial Soup, etc.

Anyway, just putting it out there. Maybe if there is some interest we can get a group together.

Sue
Nathalie (.
MelodramaBabs
Calgary, AB
Post #: 17
I never check these discussions! I fail at meetup-ing.

And I've actually been considering starting a regular girls game night for a while... I win at procrastinating!

So. Yes! I'm in!
And I'm even willing to host it at my house (I live deep south. Transit accessible.)

and I know Jennifer B. would be in as well (she lives just down the road from me)

What part of town are you in, Sue?

(note to self: Check the 'Track this discussion' box')
Nathalie (.
MelodramaBabs
Calgary, AB
Post #: 18
sweeet! seriously! I never check these forums! and you just posted this tonight!!

turns out I win at meetup-ing... or. at least at timing! :)
Krista M.
user 12359145
Calgary, AB
Post #: 27
I am totally in for stuff like that. Located in Airdrie.
Sue
user 9135113
Calgary, AB
Post #: 12
sweeet! seriously! I never check these forums! and you just posted this tonight!!

turns out I win at meetup-ing... or. at least at timing! :)

Wow, well I guess our stars are aligned or something, because I have never ever checked the discussion board in this group until tonight!

I live in Sunalta (central), but am happy to drive. The fact that you would be willing to host is wicked awesome, because my place is tiny and not really good for gaming. I would be happy to bring any games that I have, and would love a regular night of it!
Cheryl
user 46262292
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1
Hi

I would be interested in getting together for some fun casual gaming. I might not be able to attend on a regular basis, as I have some commitments already scheduled over the next few months.

I enjoy games like Lords of Waterdeep, Settlers of Catan, Trajan, 7 Wonders, Agricola, Ticket to Ride, Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, Ascension, etc. Pretty much I am open to just about any boardgame. It is fun to play a game just for the sake of playing and getting together with others with like interests.

Cheryl
Diane
user 11609613
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1
I'd be in for a girls' game night too. I live downtownish but can get anywhere that's reasonably convenient with transit (I don't have a car.) Great idea Sue and thanks Nathalie for offering to host!
Nathalie (.
MelodramaBabs
Calgary, AB
Post #: 19
OK. Let's get this moving - because as a winner at procrastinating if I don't start now - I never will!

Let's start with 2 simple ones and one a bit less so:

1. What day/night/time works best for you?

2. Does anyone else want to host? (ie - we could rotate so it's not always located far south)

3. Do we want to post these regular "events" on the meetup calendar to open it up to other girls who might be intimidated at attending their first board game meetup when there's a lot of guys and they're not sure if they'll be the only girl.

To give you an idea of where my place is via transit - from the Somerset/Bridlewood LRT station, from stop 8668 (this is the one right next to the big covered shelter on the West side) take bus 14 and get off at stop 9601. (see: http://goo.gl/maps/qS...­ for transit directions.)
Sue
user 9135113
Calgary, AB
Post #: 13
Woohoo, go Babs! I like your style. Here are my details:

1. Best times for me to play in order of preference are a) Thurs anytime after 4pm, b) Fri after 4pm, c) Sat after 4pm, d) any of those days between noon and 4pm. I'm in school and often have classes and stuff due early in the week, so Sundays I'm usually doing schoolwork.

2. I'm not in a great position to host. I would like to change that in time, but for now I'm going to pass on this.

3. I think regular events would be great, and would love to open it up to other gals like us. If there had been something like this I probably would have gone to a meetup ages ago. As it is right now, I almost made it to your (Bab's) place once, but didn't. I'm not even shy really, but the idea of being in a room full of guys I don't know at all is a bit intimidating for me. So the short answer is YES!

Sue
Jasen R.
baldboy_1
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 95
For the record, and as a proud member of the unfairer sex, I fully support this idea. Let me know when/if you gals want to post this as a public Meetup.

(also tracking this discussion)

Incidentally, I also got a similar private message from someone wanting to organize a regular game group among older (less boisterous) adults... I'm open to posting other "demographic" focused meetup groups as well.

Jasen