Continue Data Science Tutorial: Marc Smith, Connected Action, Network Analytics and Visualization of Big Data Privacy Workshop Tweets, and Kay Goodier and others, Discussing Remarks by the President on Review of Signals Intelligence
Dial In information - The number is[masked], participant code[masked].
There are new parking lot bars that open as you approach. Please come to level P-2 for easy entrance since the building locks at 6 pm.
• 6:30 p.m. Welcome and Introduction Slides (http://semanticommunity.info/@api/deki/files/28886/BrandNiemann04012014.pptx)
• 6:35 p.m. Continue Data Science Tutorial: Marc Smith (http://www.connectedaction.net/marc-smith/), Connected Action (http://www.connectedaction.net/), Network Analytics and Visualization of Big Data Privacy Workshop Tweets (http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/NodeXL_and_Sci2_for_Data_Science) See Wiki (http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/Federal_Big_Data_Working_Group_Meetup#Sixth_Meetup.2C_Tuesday_April_1.2C_2014.2C_6:30_p.m.) SlideShare (http://www.slideshare.net/Marc_A_Smith/think-link-network-insights-with-no-programming-skills)
• 7:00 p.m. Brief Member Introductions and Marc Smith Continues
• 7:30 p.m. Kate Goodier, Slides (http://semanticommunity.info/@api/deki/files/28893/XcelerateFederalBigData04012014.pptx), Discussing Remarks by the President on Review of Signals Intelligence (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/01/17/remarks-president-review-signals-intelligence), excerpts:
• But the government collection and storage of such bulk data also creates a potential for abuse.
• Yet there is an inevitable bias not only within the intelligence community, but among all of us who are responsible for national security, to collect more information about the world, not less.
• I have also asked my counselor, John Podesta, to lead a comprehensive review of big data and privacy. And this group will consist of government officials who, along with the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, will reach out to privacy experts, technologists and business leaders, and look how the challenges inherent in big data are being confronted by both the public and private sectors; whether we can forge international norms on how to manage this data; and how we can continue to promote the free flow of information in ways that are consistent with both privacy and security.
• See Recent Big Data Privacy Workshop (http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/Big_Data_Privacy_Workshop), Co-hosted by The White House Office of Science & Technology Policy and MIT, March 3, 2014 | Cambridge, Massachusetts and The Use and Abuse of Big Data and Hadoop (http://smartdatacollective.com/rick-delgado/187496/use-and-abuse-big-datahadoop)
• See Information Sharing Environment (http://semanticommunity.info/Information_Sharing_Environment)
• 8:15 p.m. Open Discussion
• 8:30 p.m. Networking
• 9:00 p.m. Depart