No funds for parking validation tonight! ARRGH
6:30 pm 6:30 p.m.Welcome and Introduction Slides (http://semanticommunity.info/@api/deki/files/29355/BrandNiemann05202014.pptx)
• 6:35 pm Continue Data Science Tutorial: Practical Data Science for Data Scientists (http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/Practical_Data_Science_for_Data_Scientists): Data Science Students and Careers (http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/Practical_Data_Science_for_Data_Scientists#3.2F18_Data_Science_Students_and_Careers) See Professor Dr. Kirk Borne of George Mason University (http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science/Dr._Kirk_Borne_of_George_Mason_University) Slides (http://semanticommunity.info/@api/deki/files/28975/kborne-DCDC-jan2014.pdf). Graduate Students Working on Semantic Medline-YarcData (http://semanticommunity.info/A_NITRD_Dashboard/Semantic_Medline) Projects: GMU Updates Master's Program for Data Science (http://data-informed.com/george-mason-university-updates-masters-program-data-science/) and Sarah Soliman, Rand, and IV MOOC Student Project (invited-rescheduled to June)
• 7:00 p.m. Brief Member Introductions
• 7:010 pm Big Data - Forward - Backward, Charles Randall Howard (http://www.crhphdconsulting.net/), Adjunct Professor in the Applied IT Department and Sr. Data Scientist at Novetta Solutions. Slides (http://semanticommunity.info/@api/deki/files/29397/Big_Data_Forward_-_Backward.pdf)
Professor Howard has a Ph.D. in Information Technology from George Mason University, a M.S. in Information Systems from Virginia Commonwealth University, and a B.S. in Information Systems from Virginia Commonwealth University. As a Sr. Data Scientist at Novetta Solutions, he guides Big Data Science initiatives to solve problems and seize opportunities towards enabling organizations in realizing Big Data benefits across their entire organization (vs. just a few data scientists). He focuses on bringing technology back to making businesses more efficient and effective in delivering results. Previous experience includes Principal Data Scientist at Berico Technologies, Principal Semantic and Knowledge Scientist at Boeing-SMSI, Principal Consultant at SRA International, INC./Raba Technologies; Vice President of Engineering at Tech I2; and Principal Software Engineer at Raytheon.
• 7:45 pm Stories that Persuade, Anita de Waard, (http://researchdata.elsevier.com/anita) VP Research Data Collaborations at Elsevier Research Data Services/University of Utrecht. Slides (http://semanticommunity.info/@api/deki/files/29411/StoriesThatPersuade.pptx). Also see Looking for Data: Finding New Science (http://t.co/eok3ma37vO) and Ten Habits of Highly Effective Data (http://www.slideshare.net/anitawaard/ten-habits-of-highly-effective-data)
Anita de Waard has a background in experimental physics. She joined Elsevier as publisher in physics and neurology in 1988, and since 1997 she is employed as a Principal Researcher for Disruptive Technologies in the Labs group. Her main focus is the development of innovative product concepts, with a specific interest in establishing collaborations between Elsevier and academic groups in information and computer science. In 2003, Anita founded and ran the Reed-Elsevier Data Standards Group. Her interests include the application of Semantic Web technologies for scientific communication, and the development of a new, semantic form for the scientific article.
• 8:30 p.m. Open Discussion
• 8:45 p.m. Networking
• 9:00 p.m. Depart