addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Federal Hill Book & Wine Club Message Board › Thoughts on The Hunger Games

Thoughts on The Hunger Games

patti j.
PattiJefferson
Group Organizer
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 6
All,
I just finished The Hunger Games a few days ago, and it got me thinking-- how many of us grew up before reality tv, after it was established, or grew up while reality tv was "growing up"?

I'm in the third category-- the very first season of The Real World came out on MTV when I was 13. So I clearly remember the transition (and was probably the target market) from something that actually seemed like "reality" to what I call "manipulated reality" shows we see today.

It also got me thinking about how many terms are a part of our society's lexicon that stem directly from the idea of reality tv- things like "rose ceremony," "the counsel has voted," "immunity," "alliances". Of course, some of these things certainly existed before, but the connotations are different today.

I found this to be the most interesting aspect of The Hunger Games- the question of how far of a leap it would be from where we are today in our acceptance of televised "reality" to what's portrayed in the book. Especially when you compare that to how far fetched that aspect of the story would have seemed just 15 years ago.

Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this.
A former member
Post #: 2
How interesting because I was wondering what you meant in your comment and now I realize what you meant.

The 1st season of the Real World came out when I was 15. Same with Survivor. It's not a far leap to go from what's in Hunger Games (especially the 1st book) and what is happening now. Even if you look at the duration of the Real World, I think they're on like the 25th or more season...it went from being what some people construed as a truly boring show to being "flashy". I think that was done on purpose because the producers saw the response when they filmed in Las Vegas for the 1st time and it got super flashy.

But, even politically. Think about how it was when Kennedy was in office, and the progression of what the president has to speak on, from the war and operations in Libya, to every aspect of the tragedy unfolding in Japan. I remember in my youth, not hearing from the president on every little thing. I'm not that old...but progress through my parents...the president was almost allowed to have a private life to a certain extent. Now with the explosion of the internet, people's eyes are on you 24/7.