Hey Foodies. This annual event is raved about over on Yelp. Looks like a blast. Cost is $10 admission and Yelpers say that is a bargain. Bring exact change in cash and CASH for food. No food/booze/bikes/chairs will be allowed in. If there's a line when you arrive, I've heard there's another entrance on Gower that usually is not so busy. If you are driving or riding a bike, you might to a ride by if the entrance line looks long. The event goes from Noon to Midnight, however, for our Meetup purposes, let's meet at 4:30pm and the meeting location TBA. This is really a no host event, so if you can't find us, you should have plenty to see and observe or participate.
Check out the photo gallery from last year's event by one of the photo meetup groups. Good stuff! http://www.meetup.com/The-Glendale-Photography-Group/photos/all_photos/?photoAlbumId=4028212
HOLLYWOOD FOREVER CEMETERY PRESENTS
13TH ANNUAL DIA DE LOS MUERTOS
We graciously and enthusiastically welcome the city of Angels and beyond to embrace, honor and celebrate the memory of the departed as we commemorate the 13th annual Dia de Los Muertos at the historic Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Hollywood Forever, the resting place of Hollywood's immortals, requests your presence for the Nations largest and most authentic Day of the Dead celebration. Witness this colorful ancient indigenous based Mexican ceremony as we welcome our guests to celebrate life and ancient traditions fused with modern culture.
Join us as we illuminate the evening sky with the various mosaic flavors of life, remembering and paying homage to the dearly departed as we joyfully walk hand in hand with the recollections of the spirits we pay tribute to. Allow the ingrained history of this ancient tradition to capture the heart of the newly curious, sustain the hopes of the returning and quench the thirst of the surrounding souls.
The 2012 Dia de Los Muertos will explore the Mayan Gods and the Ancient Mayan Calendar.
We will observe the millenary custom with altar settings, a procession, incense, food and rituals, from cultures around the world. a diversity of world re owned artists. Children will enjoy and learn more about this millenary tradition by storytelling, the making of the altars, face painting, dancing, and even playing African marimbas are among the activities early birds will get to enjoy.
Hollywood Forever is the only cemetery in the country which opens its gates to commemorate this annual tradition.
Saturday, October 27th, 2012
12:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
The Ceremonial Altar Set-Up:
Friday, October 26th, 2012
5:00 p.m. onward.
General Admission: $10 per person, children under 6 years free (please bring exact change)
- Dia de Los Muertos attire strongly encouraged - Come dressed in your finest Calaca apparel
- Spend an eventful day relaxing and watching the evening stars appear as the cemetery comes to life with joyful celebrations
- Enjoy fine Mexican cuisine and a wide spectrum of Day of the Dead merchandize available for purchase
- Arrive early for desired parking
Hollywood Forever Cemetery
6000 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90038
Link to map and directions to event >>
Download map of the event >>
- A vibrant traditional procession in the home of Hollywood's Immortals with traditional Aztec blessings and Regional Musical-Dance group dedications
- Showcase life tributes through exhibiting over 100 traditionally renowned community altars
- “Calaveras” art exhibit (Cathedral Opening)
- Arts and Crafts expositions
- Historical Lecture presentation
- Interactive activities for families
- Theater performances - Local Artisans -Traditional Mexican Cuisine
- Evening Concert for the beloved souls – Theatrical Musical Presentation featuring a world renowned special guest
- Mausoleum (Cathedral) Art Exhibit –
- Lake Stage Presentation – Welcome the evening stars with a dynamic originally conceived choreographed production by a combined effort from our community's most culturally recognizable performers and set designers. Weaved in to this production will be an emotionally driven evening light scheme as we guide back, welcome and celebrate the memories of the beloved souls.
- Presentation of Altar winners 1st prize $3000 2nd prize $2000 3rd prize $1000
- Main Stage Performance(s) - Join us for a full day of theatrical and musical performances culminating in a featured concert under the stars.