addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board New Event Announcements and or Changes to Events › New Meetup: Hike Some, Eat Some Potluck Picnic - Griffith Park Hollywood

New Meetup: Hike Some, Eat Some Potluck Picnic - Griffith Park Hollywood

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Announcing a new Meetup for L.A. Foodies!

What: Hike Some, Eat Some Potluck Picnic - Griffith Park Hollywood
When: Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:00 AM

Where: 3200 Canyon Dr
3200 Canyon Dr
Los Angeles, Ca 90068

OPTIONAL HIKE ~ August is the hottest month, so let's take a gentle hike up to the most Famous Cave in the world before we eat and before the heat. The Bat Cave aka the Quarry Cave in Griffith Park's Bronson Park. As a kid growing up, I've watched them film, the Man From Uncle, Combat, Branded, Perry Mason and at least a dozen other show. The stunt crew of Combat was cool, letting me shoot off parachute flares and the Man from Uncle crew let me shoot their grease gun machine gun... Really fun when you are about 10-14 years old.

If you want to sleep in, come for the picnic at 11:30am and maybe check out the cave after lunch. This small park is part of Griffith. From here, you could hike up to a hidden waterfall, Observatory, Hollywood Sign, Mt Hollywood, Mt. Lee and to virtually all points of interest in Griffith Park.

HEALTHY POTLUCK FOOD ~ Okay, let's BRING IT ON! Time again to show off your culinary cooking talents or shopping skills for those that don't cook. Let's make the theme of this potluck picnic a healthy theme. No salty chips/pretzels kind of foods. Fresh fruits and vegetable or fruit salads, Pasta salads, roast/bbq chicken or look to cook or bake or buy something healthy to share. The exception being desserts, if you bring a dessert no restrictions apply... we don't want to be too strict.

If you need ideas or want to share some fabulous, organic produce, stop at the Hollywood Farmers Market in the morning before the picnic. I plan on bringing at least one gas stove so if you want to get fancy and make us some crepes, poached pears or a dish that requires cooking, awesome. However, you will need to supply all your own cooking pans, utensils and serving implements. If you decide to cook something, please specify so I will be sure to bring enough gas canisters.

BEVERAGES ~ It's very rare the Rangers visit this park because it is so small compared to the rest of the park and if they do, they almost never get out of their truck, so it's pretty safe to bring your favorite adult beverage if you choose.

$1.00 Fee ~ This will cover the cost of the picnic supplies... cups, plates, napkins, utensils, cooking gas, etc.

Bring a blanket if you have one as there may not be enough tables. If you have a camp chair or two, that would be nice.The facilities are scarce, no water I seem to recall, so maybe a couple people can bring a gallon or two of water for drinking and cleanup.

Check it out!