addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board L.A. Foodies+ Discussion Forum › OT: Time For A New Cell Phone - T-Mobile? ATT?

OT: Time For A New Cell Phone - T-Mobile? ATT?

A former member
Post #: 18
A couple weeks ago, my cell phone suddenly stopped getting the excellent reception it's had for a couple of years. Despite working with the Net10 CS for over an hour, endlessly programming all kinds of codes into my phone, the problem still persists. They say it's not my phone but their cell transmitting tower. But, service is noticeably bad in most other areas as well. I think they switched providers and refuse to acknowledge it. So it's time for me to get a new Android phone.

I've been looking at the deal from Walmart/T-Mobile... Anyone have this service/phone? $30/month 100min/5gb data

I know, 100min doesn't sound like much, but it is wifi capable and reviews say it's free to make/receive calls using Skype/wifi and on my home wifi router.
Alen
user 9836222
Arcadia, CA
Post #: 7
if u want Sprint, Sprint Employee Discount Plan for Everyone. Copy & Paste Link:

http://delivery.sprin...­
Email: Russ.S.McGuire@Sprint. com
ID: 383

($10 a month Cheaper than Sprint Retail Store)

Everything Plus™ Data - with Any Mobile, Anytime

Introducing Any Mobile, Anytime, forget about restrictive calling circles. Our Everything Data plans give you unlimited data, messages and calls to any mobile, anytime while on the Sprint Network. That’s access to over 250 million U.S. mobile phones nationwide. This plan includes:

- 500 mins Anytime. Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to & from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time.
- Unlimited Data on our network: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Sprint TV & Radio, NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile
- Talk: Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance & no roaming charges

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­---------------------------------------

Family Plans (2 Smartphones $130 a month, 3 Smartphones $155 a month, 4 Smartphones $180 a month, 5 Smatphones $205 a month). Minus - $10 for every Non-Smartphones, but has to include at least 1 Smartphone on the Family Plan

Everything Plus™ Data Family - with Any Mobile, Anytime

Introducing Any Mobile, Anytime, forget about restrictive calling circles. Our Everything Data plans give you unlimited data, messages & calls to any mobile, anytime while on the Sprint Network. That’s access to over 250 million U.S. mobile phones nationwide. This plan includes:

- Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to & from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time.
- Unlimited Data on our network: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Sprint TV & Radio, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
- Unlimited messaging: Text, Pictures & Video
- Talk: Unlimited Night & Weekends calls starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges

Corporate Discount Link:
http://sprint.p.deliv...­

*************ONLY BUY SPRINT 4G LTE SMARTPHONES !!!!!!!!!!!!

(LG Viper LTE, Google Nexus LTE, HTC Evo LTE, Tri-Fi, Galaxy SIII....etc.)

Sprint Network Vision Introduction (4G FD-LTE + Clearwire 4G TD-LTE, Better Service & Coverage)

http://www.youtube.co...­
Wendy
sanfrangirl
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 15
I had T-mobile for years--they have *great* prices. BUT I had dropped calls EVERYWHERE, even on La Brea, near where I lived. It was *really annoying.* The reason why I left, however, is that I had gotten an HTC android with them, very expensive, and it drove me crazy. It was an AWFUL phone. The alarm would not go off for some reason I could not fathom, it constantly called my friends, and the settings slipped regularly. I finally paid to get out of my contract to go to Verizon and get an i-phone, which I love. Verizon is much more expensive but i got it because it has the most coverage. It also does not have dropped calls! But the reception is Pasadena is not great. I have heard that T-mobile is finally get the i-phone. As far as ATT, I don't know where you live, but the reception is lousy in Pasadena.
Paolo
user 9691533
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 2
What does any of this have to do with FOOD ?
T
scorpearl
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 26
Paolo, smart phone discussion started by our foodie master Darrell DOES MATTER TO OUR FOOD IN RELATED EVENT ORGANIZATION AS OF MATTER OF FACT... Darrell couldn't reach no body when he had to use a diff phone (I don't know how he managed by borrowing from some one else or what ever...) calling me to coordinate for a dinner reservation @ Mezze for our event posting . And he dropped his cell phone in the past (+ lost his phone and so on...) Indeed it's about time for DARRELL to get himself a reliable durable smart phone so he can be more efficient (aka: no more excuses) for efficient event organizing, ha ha!
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 5,296
Paolo, in the title I started with OT and from the title it is obvious that it is off topic... But with over 3,000 members and probably 90% have a cell phone, I don't want to get a crappy phone/service that I may have to live with for a couple of years if I agree to a contract.

On the 4th of July... none of us could get reception at the beach in PdR... it was so frustrating! Sunny M. would walk about 1/2 mile up a hill so that she could get reception to be able to talk to me. She would call me, I couldn't receive the call and then I'd call her back using GoogleVoice with my PC... it was a nightmare! So many members couldn't reach any of the 4 organizers and so many gave up trying to find us at the event so out of over 180 sign ups, the group size was only about 50-60 hardy foodies that managed to find our group because of the horrific parking/traffic.

Target and other big box companies also offer attractive looking deals... but there are just so many phones, plans, contract, no contract... My head is dizzy and fingers blistered trying to decide...

I'm 99% going with the Samsung Exhibit II 4G Prepaid Android Phone($189) from Amazon/T-Mobile and service plan will be $30/mo via Walmart/T-Mobile. There's a huge User Base for this phone and lots of mods and apps and all the users seem so gung ho. I was liking Verizon's Droid 4 because of a full keyboard and network, but their service plans start at $90/mo.

I just changed my Google Voice number to 323.456-DLEE or 323.456.3533 so that will be the number I give out in the future and it will ring to my computer and to my new cell when I get it...

Ordered my new Samsung phone today from Amazon... Should get it on Tuesday... Can't wait!
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 5,297
The Samsung phone gets better and better as I continue to research it. There's a huge following and developers forum to remove all the standard bloatware from the phone and this phone can also be unlocked free of charge from T-Mobile if requested. Lots of tricks and apps for it.

I found accessories for it... 2 hi capacity batteries, charger, usb cable and gel case and display protector for $17 shipped! This phone has only been out about 7 months, but it's already got a huge number of aftermarket accessories too.

The only negative to me is that it is only a 1ghz single core processor... But few seem to be complaining about that...
BustAGroove
BustAGroove
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 1,369
I smile Google Voice. I started using it around the time the first iPhone came out which lots of issues of with dropped calls and poor reception. Plus, Google Voice can transcribe your voicemail messages to text -- and it's FREE!!! Did anyone happen to follow up with their mobile phone carriers to complain about no coverage / dropped calls near the beach?
Ray
user 9405579
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
Mmm, all this talk about cellphones, coverage, and providers is making me hungry.
Seriously, as the caveman owner of a dumbphone, and someone who's proudly held off on getting a smartphone, it's about time. It's a huge advantage when you're contacting your meetup organizer AND looking for the location. Thanks for (somewhat) narrowing it down for me, guys!
Doug S
Saturn99
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
Darrell : Thanks for making me aware of this deal. I followed your link to this phone on Amazon and it sounds good so far. My only question is re the plan you mentioned - is it really only $30/month and if so what does that get you ? The plans mentioned on Amazon went up to $100/month so maybe I (and others) am not understanding this correctly - it appears $30/month only gives you a small number of minutes per month. Is the plan you mentioned something that needs to be ordered separately from Walmart/Amazon ?