addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 9-16

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 9-16

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT

Hello Foodies!

Are Celebrity Chefs Good for Food? - This was the topic of discussion at the Zocalo discussion a couple nights ago. While way too much time was taken for intros and speaker statements and not enough time for audience Q&A... one item did pique my interest, but there was really little time to discuss in depth. So... I'm going to post/host a dining event where we can have a discussion and here will be the topic... TV food competitions... Good or Bad for Foodies? If you have a topic that you'd like to discuss with other Foodies, please email me. My initial plan would be round tables of 8 with a prix fixe price of $25 including tax/tip. We may discuss more than one topic. Give me some feedback and let me know if you think foodie discussion dinners would be a fun event (or not). Post it on our Message Board so everyone can see.

Yours Truly on Panel of Experts - Really??? The Southern California Meetup Organizers is hosting a panel discussion and I was invited to be on the panel Sunday Sept 19th Sunday at UCLA. After the Panel Discussion, there will be a Organizers (and wannabees) Boot Camp Intensive for 55 minutes that is free if you are a member of the group. It's sold out at the moment, but it might be possible to get in, so get on the wait list.­ Click Here

­From LAWeekly - Obikà Mozzarella Bar, originally a European and Asian brand with 13 stores in Rome, Milan, Tokyo, London and most recently New York, opened its first California location in Century City's Westfield Shopping Center on September 15. Click the link to see the fab photos of their mozzarella offerings.

Future Event - I've never been inside the Japanese American National Museum and now Living Social has a great deal for admission plus An Afternoon Champagne Tea Service in the Terasaki Garden a $37 value for $18.50. Explore the exhibits, then enjoy a reception with sandwiches, scones, and jam, along with a glass of champagne and pot of tea. Grab a voucher and our groups will check this one out. If we are still hungry after our afternoon delight, we might walk around Little Tokyo and then maybe hit Orochon and see if anyone is brave enough to take on the Wall of Flame challenge... Eat a bowl of their ridiculously hot Ramen... that mutha had two handfuls of thai chiles and the broth was flaming bright red from possibly Korean crushed red peppers... the next day, the consequences of that ramen will be brutal... If 6 or more members purchase this deal, I'll schedule it. I don't think it would be worth going if paying retail.

SuNny Says - I am posting the Mark Bittman event on October 26th as an LA Foodies Meetup event. Tickets are $16.50 and must be purchased throught The Skirball Cultural Center.

Lastly, could you please tell everyone that I signed up to compete on the Foodbuzz 2010 Food Blogger competition. Also let them know that I'm doing it so I can force myself to cook. I have yet to post my first blog post for the competition, which I'll do tomorrow. So there's plenty of time for everyone to sign up on Foodbuzz. Among the judges is L.A's own Nancy Silverton. I will forward the announcement of my first blog post tomorrow evening.

Leadership Team - If you have something you want the entire membership to know about, please send it to me and I'll add to our newsletters.

Restauranteurs - With this economy, there's huge competition for our dining dollars. Recently at our Vinoteque/Groundlings event on a Thurs nite, as we walked several blocks along Melrose Ave. I was stunned how every restaurant was nearly empty. I have to admit, with all the discount offerings, there's little incentive to pay full retail unless the restaurant has some celebrity chef, amazing/unique food or a super value. So, if Ludo isn't cooking at your restaurant for Ludobites 6.0... if you'd like our group/members to visit your restaurant, contact me, offer us a discount and perhaps we can get our members out to your restaurant.

Frugal Foodies - Many of us have lots of discount vouchers and need someone to share a meal with. Let's create a "clearing house" by members posting restaurants they have vouchers for that they would like to sell, buy or share. CLICK HERE

Event Hosts - Would an EH/AO like to host this event? @ Americana at Brand, enjoy an entertaining culinary competition between David LeFevre of Water Grill and Michael Cimarusti of Providence, courtesy of Cadillac’s partner Bon Appétit. Culinary demos at 11:30 AM, 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM. Date: 10/16/2010 - 10/17/2010 http://www.cadillacch...­

OT - Nikon vs Canon. Up until about 2 years ago, Canon was King of the Hill for about 5 years when it came to small format DSLR's. Being a Nikon guy for over 20 years I hated that. Thankfully, Nikon has reclaimed that title. They've just released several new pro and consumer products... check them out at Calumet or Samy's Camera...

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

My favorite deals of the day (use links below) are - BBE - Susan Feiniger's Street -30%. Groupon -Orange County - Whale Watching $14, Bloomspot - Takami Sushi and Robata 37th floor Downtown -50%

Daily Deals
Dealpop.com­ - Yoga lessons, S.M.
Groupon.com­ Takami Sushi and Robata -50%
BloomSpot.com­ - Buona Sera, Redondo Bch
Tippr.com­ - 69% off Facial
SocialBuy.com­ - Atlantic Bar & Grill Hollywood
AtCost.com­
LivingSocial.com Japanese American Museum Champagne & Tea service included
BlackBoardEats.com­ - Feiniger's Street
Restaurant.com­ - 9/8/10 - 70% OFF Promo Discount Code = SPORK
Greatworkperks.com­ - $8 off LA County Fair Tix
Goldstar­

LAfoodies.org­
AsianFoodies.info

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee
Organizer

­
A former member
Post #: 3
'...So... I'm going to post/host a dining event where we can have a discussion and here will be the topic... TV food competitions... Good or Bad for Foodies? If you have a topic that you'd like to discuss with other Foodies, please email me. My initial plan would be round tables of 8 with a prix fixe price of $25 including tax/tip. We may discuss more than one topic. Give me some feedback and let me know if you think foodie discussion dinners would be a fun event (or not). Post it on our Message Board so everyone can see...'

a critical need, in order to counter the overwhelming hype now being thrown at the culinary arts and those that particpate. some may argue that just such discussion groups may only serve that same hype, but in my consideration just consuming results of the culinary practice is only part of the picture, that serious consideration of the culinary industry, all aspects, is a vital need. so count me in as one of the supporters of your interest here!