addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-30

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-30

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-30

Hello Foodies!

Taste of the World Festival - This looks like it will be an outstanding event. I still have a few more VIP Passes left. They are Friday 11/5 and Sunday 11/7. If you wish to receive one of these passes, please send me an email that you want a VIP Pass ($40 value) and what day you prefer. Preference given to Supporting members and Event Organizers. Otherwise, you can get a 50% discount from their website if you use our special promo discount code in all LOWERCASE type in --- foodies
http://www.tasteofthe...­

­55 Degrees Wine & Cheese Next Saturday 11/6 is our premiere event. Should be great fun. Right now we have 16 members RSVP'ed between both groups. This is one of the coolest wine bars I've seen. Click on the title to read the whole writeup.

Foodies Give Back - Project Angelfood - We can volunteer to prepare lunch for all the Project Angelfood volunteers and staff. This will require 10 volunteers on Dec. 4th. Click here to see the event post

­Fraiche Groupon For Sale - I bought two of these and they expire Nov 6th. $25 for $55 food/drink. I will sell one of them for $21 via Paypal or $20 cash. I can email groupon. Or if someone would like to join me for lunch or dinner there, please email me. Click on title for Groupon details.

­Baby Carrots - Very interesting article about baby carrots. Click on the title.

CHEATER MARGARITAS - At my weekly sojourn over to Super King Market aka SKM, I bought a couple of bottles of Milagro, a relatively new brand of premium tequila that was on sale, reg. $26 sale $12 and this being a Hispanic store had a great selection of tequilas as well as lots of premium liquors in general. I wouldn't shop for wines here, but the hard stuff, this is a great place. Anyway, I noticed several gift boxed tequilas that had lemon-lime Jarritos packaged with the tequila so a quick google search found the below Cheater Margaritas recipe. Yeah, the Jarritos was on sale as well for only 59 cents for a 1.5 liter bottle which was a hella bargain as it normally is $1.50-2.00 a bottle. Disclaimer: I haven't tried this recipe yet. "For the easiest, quickest, great-tasting Margaritas out there try this:"

1. Fill a salt-rimmed Margarita glass with ice.
2. Add 1 ½ ounces Tequila and top with Jarritos lemon-lime soda.
3. That's all!

Speaking of SKM, they have Atlantic Salmon steaks for $4/lb. For some odd reason, I've never been much of a salmon fan. Oh, I'll eat it without problem, but I'll almost never order it if given other choices. Perhaps it was because a sushi master once told me about checking for worms in farmed salmon that made me prefer other fish...

­Olive Fresh Garden Market - Another small ethnic market. Maybe Russian Armenian? Lots of imported foods. More below.

­Video of the Day - An interesting video on becoming a chef and a gorgeous way to cook a fillet of Salmon.

Darrell's Test Kitchen - I finally found some Top Blade steaks and along with my skirt steak, I made a couple versions of Asian Fusion tacos. Well, my black bean w/garlic & habanero was only okay but my Kogi Killer tacos were the bomb. The black bean sauce was just a standard classic recipe that I whipped up and I've eating it thousands of times, so just adding heat to it didn't tickle my taste buds enough to make it unique. However, to people who haven't eaten dishes with your typical Cantonese black bean and garlic sauce, they might rave about it as most people do when they try a dish with that sauce for the 1st time.

The first batch using the skirt steak was very tough, but it was because I way overcooked it. This second batch, I cooked to a medium and it was acceptably tender. It will never melt in your mouth, but that cut of meat does have a terrific beefy flavor. The top blade meat has a nice beefy flavor, but that gristle in the middle of the steaks is actually crunchy, so I think I'll have to try to find a whole top blade roast and butcher my own flat iron steaks. I was out in North Hollywood and stopped into a Russian/Armenian market that has both a bakery, service deli and butcher shop and was surprised to see they had whole tenderloins in cryo-sealed packs for sale at $5.99 lb. I guess I never much looked at beef tenderloin cuts in the markets as my favs are ribeyes and porterhouse steaks.

Lunch today (actually it was yesterday) will be Cantonese potstickers aka Japanese gyozas. I think I'll make at least 3 different types all with chicken... 1] chicken with a trio mushrooms - shitake, beech & king oyster 'shrooms 2] chicken w/kimchee, 3] chicken w/lop cheng (sweet pork sausage) 4] Chicken & shrimp w/smelt eggs (maybe). wow, that first batch was delicious. More flavorful than Din Tai Fung and much bigger, however no squirt like DTF. I cooked them two ways, as potstickers with my cast iron pan in oil as well as in a simple chicken broth soup (from a box) that I added lots of ginger, peas, carrots and other veggies. Both ways were yummy. Today I'm adding shrimp to the left over mixture of chicken and will re-season.

Can one of you AO's tell me if you can see the below photos from your email client?

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Deal Of The Day - 41% off the famous Geisha House in Hollywood or at Ketchup in LA. BloomSpot­ - $59 for $100 at Geisha House

Daily Deals
Restaurant.com­ 80% Discount - Code = TREAT
LivingSocial.com - Wine Cruise - Long Beach
Dealpop.com­ -
Groupon.com­ - Cabo Cantina
BloomSpot.com­ - Geisha House or Ketchup - Hollywood
Tippr.com­ -
SocialBuy.com­
AtCost.com­
BlackBoardEats.com­ -
Bogopod.com­ - Like BBE and Great Work Perks, free discounts, no prepays
Greatworkperks.com­