A countryside walk of approx. 12-13 miles in Kent from Otford - this is a picturesque trip only about half an hour from London featuring rolling hills and nice views in Kent.
*How to join?*
- The walk is entirely free of charge;
- You only arrange for your own travel and pub expenses;
- Please answer the RSVP question (there is one - you will be removed if you don't, contact Christof if in doubt)
- Understand our terms and conditions below (the "IMPORTANT" part);
- Understand how to stay safe outdoors, as you will be responsible for yourself. See our quick safety tips:
Join us for this walk in Kent from Otford. Starting from Otford we climb Otford Mount and follow the North Downs Ways towards the east. At Drane Farm we turn north towards Hollywood Manor and then west into Knatts Valley. We continue west to Romney Street where we turn north, past Round Hill towards Upper Austin Lodge. We then turn south west and head towards Shoreham via Preston Hill and Gold Hill. We then follow the Darent Valley Path back to Otford where we can stop at a pub before returning back to London.
- Walking Distance: approx 12-13 miles.
- Walk Duration: depends on the group (aiming to get back to Otford at around 3.30 pm, sunset is just before 4 pm)
- Terrain & Difficulty: some hills, mainly natural paths, possibility of plants, overgrowth, farmland, grass, muddy and wet sections - bring walking shoes/boots!
*Travel Options & Meeting Point*
- We will be meeting at 8:50 AM at London Victoria Station by the Nero Express closest to platform 11 (for the 9.22 train from platform 5).
- Tickets are £7.75 with the GroupSave discount
- Return train: there are half hourly trains back to London Victoria.
*What to bring*
- Plenty of water, 1-2 litres recommended
- Enough snacks and packed lunch to keep you energized along the walk
- Extra snacks and an extra packed lunch just in case
- Rainproof (ideally waterproof) clothing, sturdy shoes/boots you don't mind getting muddy
- Spare socks
- Spare T-shirt
- Sun protection
- Walking poles and/or an umbrella :-)
- ...and your camera!
- Cash for train ticket
- Cash for pub at the end of the walk?
And if you want to help out with navigation:
- A compass
Any questions? Please post in the comments and remember to stay kind, respectful and unpolemical :-)
Please bear in mind this is a free of charge, self-guided trip with a hobby group. It is not organized by a business nor any entity with commercial purposes.
Any trip details, travel advice, route planning, instructions and other content in our group merely represent our shared personal knowledge, research and suggestions as outdoor enthusiasts. As this is no business, there is no "product", "service" or "package" and also no "tour guide", "operator" or "walk leader".
Each participant is responsible for their own safety. Even if some of us are very experienced walking outdoors, nobody assumes responsibility for any kind of injury, damage or loss that may happen.
Despite this, we take extreme precautions and all trips we plan are very safe, fun, highly educational and popular. Our experienced members volunteer their time and effort to shape a pleasant and quality adventure for everyone :-)
By participating you acknowledge and agree with this disclaimer.
Here are our tips on staying safe during outdoor trips:
TRAVEL, ACCOMMODATION, INSURANCE
Although we provide detailed suggestions, each participant is expected to arrange their own travel and (if required) accommodation - this gives everyone the freedom and choice to join from wherever they want and stay wherever they want. Anyone interested in travel or outdoor insurance should also arrange this on their own. As mentioned above we always take extreme precautions, but some people may still feel safer if covered.
As most of our trips are confirmed or postponed very close to the event date - heavily depending on the weather forecasts - we advise not to buy this until the last minute. People getting tickets from the same station are encouraged to meet early on the day to benefit from discounts such as GroupSave.
ABOUT THE GROUP
This Meetup group was founded by a few friends in London who enjoy the outdoors through different activities - walking, hiking, rock climbing, kayaking etc. We are originally members of the volunteer and bilingual Toastmasters club RES "Russian English Speakers" where we put together a few day walks - they attracted so many people that we decided to share our hobby with a broader audience, hence we created this new group!
Any questions, feel free to ask below or send a private message!