For our LTPC meeting on April 15th, Doug & Laura Bennett will be back with us. They will be providing an Image Analysis and Critique Session now that photography shows season is upon us.
Whether you have participated in shows before or are considering doing so someday, you won’t want to miss what promises to be an enlightening evening. Doug & Laura will offer their analysis and suggestions that hopefully will help you select your most competitive entries, what improvements you could consider and suggestions on presentation (matting and framing).
Doug & Laura are convinced print competitions are loaded with learning opportunities particularly when critique is provided. In fact, Doug has been competing aggressively in PPA District competitions lately learning more and more on the keys to successful competition prints and he promises to be sharing all he has learned.
So even if you believe you are not quite ready to enter into a show, please come on out to this review session as they will strive to help you further down that path to better imagery and confidence to enter.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES: - Select up to 3 images you would like to have reviewed during the meeting and email them to [masked] (note that is “ymail” and not “gmail”) NLT 6:00 am Sat morning, April 13th. (OPEN TO LTPC Members only!)
- Because Laura and Doug will be analyzing the images prior to the meeting, images brought to the meeting on thumb drives can’t be accommodated.
- Submit your images in JPEG format resized to 1000 pixels on the longest side (width or height) saved at quality level 8 to 10. Name your files in this format: your name-mage title.jpeg
GAME PLAN FOR THE REVIEW/CRITIQUE SESSION: Depending on the number of images submitted, Doug & Laura will decide how many images can be reviewed in the time available. If they cannot do all three images each person submits, they will select images that best demonstrate the instructional objectives.
Dabbling with photography back in the ‘70s, Doug didn’t really begin to pursue photography until 2003 when he bought a disposable film camera to photograph his tulips. With a rekindling of his passion for photography, he began a pursuit to learn how to capture images of the landscape that is all around us.
His love for landscape photography can be traced back to his childhood and family sightseeing vacations touring the western U.S. and Canada by car. These early experiences were further fueled by his father’s “Arizona Highways” magazines, which always left him in awe with its beautiful scenic images, particularly those of Josef Muench.
Bennett Awards: - “Photographer of the Year” – Professional Photographers of Colorado for 2011 & 2012
- “Best of Show” in the 2011 & 2012 Professional Photographers of Colorado annual print competition
- Professional Photographers of America “Loan Collection Print” – 2011 & 2012 International Print Competition
- “Best of Show” at the Louisville Art Association National Juried Photography Show in 2011 & 2012
- “Best of Show” and “1st Place” at the Lone Tree Photography Show, Lone Tree, Co in 2010 &1st Place in 2012
- “Best of Show” at the Tri-Lakes Art Center’s “Visions of Light” Photography Show, Palmer Lake, Co, in 2010 & 2012