• This meetup has yet to assign a host and the listed date & time is close, but not exact. The host and exact date & time will be announced on this page, late-June. If you want to become the host, please email our group's organizers (http://www.meetup.com/Fruitluck/suggestion/).
• To ensure you have an optimal experience, please read everything below.
• By RSVPing "Yes" or attending this or another Fruitluck meetup you respectfully agree to the Fruitluck Meetup Group's guidelines (http://www.meetup.com/Fruitluck/about/), liability release (http://www.meetup.com/Fruitluck/pages/LIABILITY_RELEASE/) & media release (http://www.meetup.com/Fruitluck/pages/MEDIA_RELEASE/).
One weekend a year the ranch opens its orchard section to the public, generally 7a-1p the 1st Sat & Sun after the 4th of July weekend, where ripe Valencia Oranges* and White Grapefruit** can be picked by hand. Our group will only be there one day, 9a-1p, and we'll have the fruitluck around 11a. The ranch is open til sunset (8:06p), but the orchard section closes at 1p
* Valencia orange season is April to September/October, whereas Navel is October/November to May.
** White is more tart & larger than the Pink (sweeter) & Red (sweetest) grapefruits.
Historical Avg 86/60 F, sunny, no rain, no wind.
- Whole fresh ripe raw preferably organic, heirloom and/or exotic fruits & shoots to share
- Mess kit: plate/bowl, utensils, napkin, cup
- Grocery bags & medium size boxes
- Cash - Fees paid to Ranch:
$3 per Filled Grocery Bag, unlimited purchases
$6 per Filled Medium-size Box, unlimited purchases
$1 for Fruit Picker Rental or bring your own for free
BRING (optional, but encouraged)
- Fruit picker or rent one for $1
- Sunscreen or protective clothing
- Still/Video Camera
Orcutt Ranch, formerly called Rancho Sombra del Roble, was the vacation and retirement estate of William Warren Orcutt and his wife Mary Logan Orcutt. The adobe residence, as well as the estate’s garden, ranch structures, oak trees, and citrus orchard have historic significance because of the distinction of its owner W.W. Orcutt, pioneer of the oil production industry in California and discoverer of the prehistoric fossils at La Brea Tar Pits.
Open Daily Sunrise-Sunset
Office Hours Tu-F 9-3, Sa 9-1