Come join me on one of my all time favourite jaunts round Portmore Loch. The loch sits in over 100 acres of beautiful natural setting within a remote area of the private Portmore Estate. Its idyllic natural setting, and rich ecosystem, make it a favourite spot for fishermen... and for us walkers too, of course!
We begin with a modest climb up a country road before enjoying our walk round the loch and then a very gradual incline into the hills where we'll observe some stunning views. The next section of the walk is through fairly rugged/open moorland before we walk down towards a large sprawling farm.
Near the end of the walk we'll have a lovely woodland walk before reaching a very tranquil scenic pond and a few pretty little cottages.
Unfortunately the Scots Pine Tea-room has closed which means we can't end with a wee refreshment there 😀. However we can still catch our bus home from opposite there (or back to cars)
*🚌BUS: X62 - leaves Edinburgh Bus Station (gate E) at 12:30. Arrives 1:25pm. Ask the driver to let you off at FALA TOLL. (The green wooden bus shelter) http://www.travelinescotland.com
*🚙CAR: Take A703 through Penicuik.
* About 3 miles out of Penicuik (at the Leadburn Inn) the A703 road is crossed by the A6094 on the left and the A701 on the right.
* Stay on the A703 but keep your eyes skinned.
* Just under 3 miles from the Inn you come to a minor left turn.
* On the right side opposite there is a road sign 'Temple 7miles - Gorebridge 10 miles' - on the left is our start point (a green wooden bus shelter - known as Fala Toll).
* Park where you can.
RETURNING TO EDINBURGH:
*🚌 BUS: People who've travelled down by bus can get the HOURLY (Ten minutes past the hour) bus back to Edinburgh from opposite The Scots Pine Tea-room.
*🚙 CAR: Those who've left their cars at Fala Toll can take the bus (above) back to the start point. (Drivers might consider arranging with another driver to leave a car at each end of the walk)
* Distance: 5.5 mile walk with some modest climbs
* Attire: Dress to suit the weather and wear comfy walking shoes/boots
* Break: Bring a snack
* Dogs: Welcome