Come join me on this lovely walk from Cramond Brig to Cammo. We'll walk alongside the river and through woods to Cammo estate where we'll spend some time wandering around the Estate before heading back to the Miller & Carter Steakhouse (original meeting place) for a wee refreshment.
* CAMMO ESTATE: is one of Edinburgh’s hidden gems, with a fascinating history and some beautiful flora and fauna waiting to be discovered. A council-owned nature reserve, Cammo was once one of Edinburgh’s grandest and most private residences. This short walk uncovers some of its secrets, including the ruins of Cammo House itself, the overgrown walled garden and the striking Cammo Tower.
* CAMMO HOUSE; was built in the 1690s for landowner John Menzies and passed through the generations into several different families, eventually falling into disrepair (and some may say disrepute) before being vacated by the last owner, a reclusive spinster who lived in the house until the 1950s. Some say she still haunts the estate grounds😧
* THE WALLED GARDEN: was a kitchen garden. Although the wall remains, the garden has returned completely to nature, with many wild plants and flowers having taken root there.
* CAMMO TOWER: a disused structure once serving as the water tower for the estate. Now home to the many birds which roost there, it dominates the field
* BUS: Lothian Country Bus 43 leaves St Andrews Square at 11:00 - arrives opposite the Miller Carter Steakhouse at 11:30
* BUS: Lothian Country Bus 43 leaves St Andrews Square at 11:20 - arrives opposite the Miller Carter Steakhouse at 11:50
* CAR: Parking is available in the streets around the Miller Carter Steakhouse
* SNACK: We'll stop for a snack break in Cammo Estate
* DISTANCE: approx 5- 6 miles
* ATTIRE : Dress to suit the weather and wear sturdy boots/shoes
* DOGS: Welcome