Come join me for a couple of short strolls in the grounds of Arniston Estate - with a guided tour of the gorgeous house in between them.
*PLEASE NOTE* To ensure your place on the tour please purchase a ticket before RSVPing "YES" to this jaunt.
2pm tour - Sun 8th Sept. Cost: Adult £7 and Concession £6
Tickets can be bought from: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/arniston-house-guided-tour-tickets-58129306320
* ARNISTON ESTATE: Arniston Estate comprises over 6000 acres incorporating a mixture of ancient broadleaf and commercial conifer woodland.
* ARNISTON HOUSE: A magnificent William Adam, Palladian style mansion house set in acres of beautiful parkland - just 11 miles from Edinburgh.
It has been home to the Dundas family for over 400 years.
* THE DUNDAS FAMILY: The Dundases are a prominent historical legal family who made their fortunes, and impact on society, in Law. With two ancestors as Presidents of the Court of Session.
* TOUR: Usually taken by the owner and her daughter (Althea Dundas-Bekker and Henrietta Dundas) They'll tell us the story of Arniston, the history of the Dundas family and show us not only the spectacular architecture, period furniture, china collections and stucco work, but also the wonderful paintings by artists such as Sir Henry Raeburn and Alexander Nasmyth.
* GROUNDS: We can appreciate the peace and tranquility of this lovely estate by taking a short wander in the grounds before, and after, the 2pm tour.
GETTING TO ARNISTON HOUSE
🚌BUS: Lothian bus 29 (Leaves North Bridge, Edinburgh) at 11:27 - arrives Birkenside (Terminus) at Powdermill Brae at 12:21. Then walk for 30 mins up B6372 (follow the brown signs to Arniston House).
🚌BUS: Borders Bus X95 (Leaves North Bridge Old town stop ND) at 11:50 (Carlisle bus) - arrives Bikenside at Harvieston Toll on A7 at 12:29. Then walk for 30 mins up B6372 (follow the brown signs to Arniston House).
🚙 CAR: Use postcode EH23 4RY (Parking is available for us as we're taking the tour)
RETURING FROM ARNISTON HOUSE
🚌BUS: Borders Bus X95. Walk 30 mins to Birkenside ( N-bound Harvieston Toll on A7) X95 Leaves at 16:29 - arrives City Centre 17:06
🚌BUS: Lothian bus 29: Walk 30 mins to Birkenside (Terminus) at Powdermill Brae - Bus 29 leaves at 17:01 - arrives City Centre 17:57
🚌BUS: Borders bus X95: Walk 30 mins to Birkenside ( N-bound Harvieston Toll on A7) X95 Leaves at 17:29 - arrives City Centre 18:06
DOGS: Allowed in the grounds , although not on the house tour.
Attire: Dress to suit the weather and wear comfy walking boots/shoes
Snack: Bring a snack as we'll stop in the grounds fora break