Date for this meetup is finalized - I am looking at July 24th entry at North Fork of Big Pine trailhead.
Since only 3 people have talked to me after the email I sent out a month ago to decide on dates, I assume they are the only one who are really interested in this trip. As such, I only reserved 4 permits for myself and those guys. I will keep the RSVP list to 6 participants and this is how it's going to work (sorry it may not be perfect but I am trying to satisfy the greater mass):
- Yvonne, Itaru and Stuart, you guys have a week to give me $6 (paypal: j.dawg.14a at gmail.com) and that will confirm you for the trip
- If after a week I have not received payment, whoever hasn't paid will be moved to the waiting list. I will decide whether Denise or Miguel gets the slot based on RSVP order.
- Once all my permits are taken up, those who remain on the YES list can still go and reserve a permit for that date, as there are a few left on recreation.gov. I will contact the individuals when this happens and they have a week to decide whether or not to commit. This is only fair to those who are waiting.
Just a reminder, this is not a trip for beginners. You must have multi-pitch climbing experience. I do prefer at least 1 person in each roped team to have experience climbing in an alpine setting where things like route-finding, efficiency, self-rescue and knowing when to retreat are more important than climbing itself.
Looking for people who are interested to climb some of the classic alpine routes in the Palisades. My plan is to arrive at the trailhead before noon, and hike into Third Lake where we can set up a base camp for 3-5 days. The hike from Glacier Lodge to Third Lake is roughly 4.3 miles with 2,300ft of elevation gain. So expect a solid 4-5hr hike with a 40-50lb backpack at altitude.
Depending on the ability of the participants, there are plenty of rock (and possibly ice) routes to climb in the 5.7 to 5.10+ range. All the routes are over 1000ft so multi-pitch climbing experience is mandatory. Climbing at altitude generally feels a bit harder for the grade so be conservative with your climbing ability (Temple Crag sits at just less than 13000'). Preference would be given to those who can lead trad and have climbed at altitude before.
With 4 people, we will spit up in two roped teams. I suggest that we split up to climb different routes. This is because there will surely be other groups on the mountain and speed is a big factor of safety in the alpine. It also make for good photo opportunities to see your buddies on an adjacent arete :)
Permits for Friday entries are mostly gone for July and August, but I would be inclined to go on a Thursday. Late-July thru August should be a ideal, and possibly best chance for ice for this low-snow year. I would keep the group size to 2 or 4 for now, but if there are lots of interest, we can probably accommodate a few more depends on permit availability. Entry quota is 15 reserveable per day at the Big Pine North Fork trailhead. We should try to fix the date within the next week.
Swiss Arete, Mt. Sill (5.7)
Venusian Blind, Temple Crag (5.7)
Moon Goddess Arete, Temple Crag (5.8)
Sun Ribbon Arete, Temple Crag (5.10a)
Dark Star, Temple Crag (5.10c)
Temple Crag to Sill Traverse
Sill to Thunderbolt Traverse
U-Notch Couloir (5.6, AI2, moderate snow)
V-Notch Couloir (AI2-3?)