Hey All, Lets' Get our Climb on in Thailand y'all! :)
I led 7 people to Thailand in GYCO in 2012. It was OFF THE HOOK! A success.
Thailand has some of the best sport climbing in the world). We experienced it near the lagoons and caves on Railay or on the beach and cliffs of Tonsai.
We flew into Phuket and took a shuttle 2 hours to our Air bnb (think you can fly into Krabi too which is like 45 mins away). Lodging on the beach there can range from $11 to 20 USD per day. People suggest getting lodging when you arrive. You will want a fan as it gets hot and humid in room.
Things to think about:
• US Passport
• Getting time off
• Flights (we took Singapore, Asiana Cathay are best)
• Gear to bring (bring your own rope and draws is advisable. There is a climb shop on Tonsai called Tonsai Rock Shop)
• Lodging (huts, air bnbs, motels, inns or hostels all work. More on this soon)
• Any immunizations or shots you may need - Check with your doctor
• Currency - Thai Bhat (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=climbing+in+thailand+&qpvt=climbing+in+thailand+&FORM=IGRE) Best to exchange money when you land in Thailand or at a currency exchange in and around Railay.
• Don't drink tap water or swallow bodies of water in Thailand or ice ice drinks or you will get sick
• Thailand customs, laws, politics and culture nuances where appropriate - Learn basic hello, thank you, goodbye. Dont smile at monkeys or they will think it is a sign of aggression, More customs: http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/10-thai-customs-to-know-before-visiting-thailand/
I will allow up to 25 people to go but for now we will keep a waiting list and come October I will manually move people over. At that time I will empower you to think about purchasing a flight, getting your VISA in order
Here is a a video of me deep water soloing near Tonsai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBb_5sQXMY
THIS IS MY BEST CLIMBING EXPERIENCE EVER!
Thoughts? Suggestions? Stories to share?
Below are a few links that tell more about climbing in Thailand to help you get aquainted: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=climbing+in+thailand+&qpvt=climbing+in+thailand+&FORM=IGRE http://www.mountainproject.com/v/thailand/105894648 http://info.rockrun.com/articles/thailand-sport-climbing.html http://www.thecircumference.org/tonsai-beach http://www.andamanadventures.com/climbing.shtml http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_baht
BEST EVENT ORGANIZER EVER!
Climbing is great!
Rock climbing since Fall 2013—Climbing outdoors most weekends in 2015
Father, runner, technologist.
Looking forward to meeting new partners and pursuing new adventures.
Can both lead and top rope. Have gear. Mostly inside but learning about outdoor climbing.
I enjoy meeting others who also Love fighting up rocks n' routes !!!