Location visible to members
Join Girl Develop It for an introductory look into WordPress. This class has plenty of class time for trying things out for yourself, asking questions, and getting help. There's also plenty of time between classes for you to experiment on your own and return next session with questions!
This class is for beginners wanting to learn about using WordPress as a content management system for a blog or website. You can arrive knowing nothing about WordPress and will leave knowing how to start up, build and manage a site.
This WordPress course runs on 4 Saturdays from 1pm to 3pm each week. Please plan to attend all four sessions.
Session 1: April 25, 1pm-3pm
Session 2: May 2, 1pm-3pm
Session 3: May 9, 1pm-3pm
Session 4: May 16, 1pm-3pm
We will cover the following:
• What WordPress is and why it's a great choice for anyone who wants to build their own website
• The difference between a blog and a website and how you can use Wordpress to build either or both
• How to install WordPress and get a new site up and running quickly
• How to customize your WordPress dashboard to maximize your efficiency and show you just what you want to know
• How to configure the WordPress settings
• How to create, edit, and delete posts, pages, categories, and tags
• How to manage images, video and audio
• How to insert media into your posts and pages
• How to view and moderate incoming comments
• How to find, install, activate, and configure themes and plugins
• How to create and manage user accounts
• How to upgrade to new versions of WordPress
• How to create backups of your WordPress site
• How to reduce spam and prevent hackers from accessing your site.
You will need a copy of WordPress that you can work on. Please note that for this workshop, sites hosted with WordPress.com are not acceptable.
If you don't already have a self-hosted WordPress site, we recommend downloading and installing Desktop Server from ServerPress and using that to set up a local copy of WordPress before you come to class. If you run into problems or have any questions, please get in touch with us at losangeles [at] girldevelopit dot com so we can help you get it sorted so you're ready for class to begin.
A basic understanding of HTML/CSS, and FTP is helpful, but it is NOT necessary.
Instructor: Karen McCamy
Teaching Assistants: TBA
About Karen McCamy
Karen McCamy is a WordPress Coach & Web Content Specialist.
Karen has been in computers for over 30 years, teaching software courses at a local college and consulting on "best practices" for small business.
Karen is passionate about WordPress, and loves to spread the knowledge. Her current project is teaching DIYers how to leverage WP and optimize their own business websites.
Karen combines her love of writing with teaching & WordPress through her own WordPress website at freelancetechnologyreview.com (http://freelancetechnologyreview.com/)
If fewer than 8 students register for this workshop, we may postpone or cancel it. In that event, a refund or class credit will be available to all students who have paid to attend.
What to bring
Please bring a laptop* and charger to class. Power outlets and wifi will be provided. You may also wish to bring a notepad and pen/pencil for taking notes.
* No laptop? We have a limited number of laptops we can loan to students during class. Please fill out our Laptop Request form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-HHF9IB2VlYVRivz5Zn7LwkjQAYkJLZsuW0YM4hh60U/viewform)
Unemployed or in financial distress and interested in taking this class? Apply for a GDI scholarship (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1f2g2p-eK0X-sAwi8oFZwBOOYAi8j_MfHT6MrhCG6M0Y/viewform).
If we have less than 8 people signed up for this class, it might be cancelled or postponed.
If you can no longer attend the class you signed up and paid for, your payment will be donated to the local chapter scholarship fund. You can help another woman in need!
We're here to help! If you have any questions or anything yo'd like to discuss before signing up for the class, please contact us at losangeles [at] girldevelopit.com.
Sponsored and hosted by Kleverdog Coworking
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct).