• We meet BOTH days, Saturday, Feb 18th and Sunday, Feb 19th, from 12pm to 5pm:
• 12:00pm - 2:30pm: First section of class time for the day.
• 2:30pm- 3:00pm: Break time! (you can buy a snack right across the street or take a nice walk around Little Tokyo)
• 3:00pm - 5:00pm: Second half of class time. We'll stay a bit late for extra questions too.
You must have a working knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Java Is a back-end programming language most often used to create large, enterprise-level applications. It can be used to create websites, but can also be used to create stand-alone software.
Sure, it's a lot more complicated than that, but at a high level that should help you figure out which one you're looking for.
Any questions? Hit us up at losangeles [at] girldevelopit.com and we'll gladly help you get it all sorted out.
What to bring
• Please bring a laptop and charger to class. (No laptop? We have a limited number of laptops we can loan to students during class. Please fill out our Laptop Request form to let us know you need to borrow one!)
• You may also wish to bring a notepad and pen/pencil for taking notes.
• We'll be using a modern web browser and a text editor in class. If you don't already have these installed, please install them before you come to class. For web browsers, we recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. For a text editor, we recommend Sublime Text 2. Note that you do not have to purchase Sublime Text 2. If you download the free evaluation version that will be good enough for class.
If you are unable to pay for this class please fill out our Scholarship Form or email losangeles [at] girldevelopit dot com
Did you know you can earn free classes by participating as a Teaching Assistant? Every hour you spend volunteering as a TA earns you a free hour of class time! Get more details and sign up to be a TA at our Get Involved page.
If you cannot attend a class that you've signed up and paid for, your class fee will be donated to our chapter scholarship fund. You can help another woman in need! We cannot issue refunds because of the overhead of processing refunds and we already offer our classes at workshops at such a low cost.
Our program and curriculum are geared toward adults over the age of 18; at this time we do not accept minors as students in our courses and workshops.
If you have any accessibility issues we should know about, please email us at losangeles [at] girldevelopit dot com. We want to make sure everyone can participate!
About the Teacher: Liz Krane
Liz Krane is a freelance web developer and founder of Learn Teach Code, another meetup group for anyone who wants to learn about computer science and programming. Previously a community manager for Hackaday and research assistant at USC Annenberg, Liz is a professional dabbler who dreams of learning something about everything.
There's metered street parking nearby and a parking garage on 2nd St right next to Opodz. See this parking map for street parking info: http://bit.ly/1iu6i8p
Big thanks to our sponsor Opodz coworking space for hosting us!
We're here to help! If you have any questions or anything you'd like to discuss before signing up for class, please contact us at losangeles [at] girldevelopit dot com.
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct.